Harman P61 vs P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You never mentioned if there is a flight of stairs across from where the stove will be or if it is open to other areas. The stairway will naturally allow some of the heat to rise to the other areas of the house. You can assist this movement by a fan at the bottom of the stairs, on the floor, blowing cooler air into the TV room. So, what is the lay-out of the house?

You never mentioned if there is a flight of stairs across from where the stove will be or if it is open to other areas. The stairway will naturally allow some of the heat to rise to the other areas of the house. You can assist this movement by a fan at the bottom of the stairs, on the floor, blowing cooler air into the TV room. So, what is the lay-out of the house?
Lake Girl, in his first thread he men tioned the house is a split level, 1300 sq ft down and 1300 up. This family/tv room is 12x22 ft that the stove will be in. As I recall, at the end is a doorway and the stairway. Not sure on the rest of the downstairs layout. But ya heat should make it upstairs. I'll let him fill you in with the finer details.

Missed that part;em Ceiling fan at top of the stairs to draw warm up and fan on floor to draw cold to the stove room would help circulate. I'd be tempted to go with the P61....

The difference in price between the 43 and 61 is about 980$ total installed. I am still not sure if it's worth it,

This is my plan and my family room where I will put it

house rough plans.png

Attachments

• house rough plans.png
    house rough plans.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 164
Hi, I went back to the installer and asked him about the p61 and p68. Again I have a split entry about 2600 sq feet- This is what he said- the family room about 12 x 22

the P43 is well capable of heating an
area 4 X the size of the small TV room you'd be putting it in. Going up to
the P61 would be a not unreasonable option, although the stove would likely
run on low more of the time resulting in sootier glass and less flame to
enjoy. There's also the question of how well can you circulate heat to other
parts of the house from the stove's location. Perhaps past experience with
your existing oil stove will help you to know this. There's always the risk
from putting in an overlarge stove in a small room, that by the time you
circulate heat to distant areas of the house you've made the room where the
stove is located intolerably hot.
If you think the area you can heat effectively from the TV room is
1200 sq ft or less then the P43 will do an excellent job of providing enough
heat without overworking, given that your home is well insulated. If you
think you can get heat to more space than that then a reasonable choice
would be the
P61A. The P 68 is unquestionable way too large for your home and would not
perform well for you.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
You're not going to get a better explanation than that. That's an excellent dealer/installer.

As I pointed out in the original thread, most people have a tendency to oversize their stove, prepping for the worst conditions. The fact is, even when you find out what those worst conditions are, they are still oversized.

In your case, the stove is supplemental, in that you still have your oil boiler radiant baseboards. If you run into those extreme weather conditions, a few days of the year, you've got your existing primary heat source to help. Some people have no other source of primary heat, so they size appropriately. You have your primary backup. The dealer/installer has given you just about the best explanation I've heard, and he thinks the P43 is "well capable". I can only repeat myself and say I doubt you're going to get better advice from a dealer/installer.

Missed that part;em Ceiling fan at top of the stairs to draw warm up and fan on floor to draw cold to the stove room would help circulate. I'd be tempted to go with the P61....
Ya, 2600 sq ft total. The thing about the layo
The difference in price between the 43 and 61 is about 980$ total installed. I am still not sure if it's worth it,

This is my plan and my family room where I will put it
It's obvious from your layout plan why the installer is saying what he is. He made his points very clear and in fact you have two installers saying basically the same thing. Basically distribution is your problem more so than stove size. Where in this plan , on what wall and what direction will the stove face ?

If I am correct the 68 is only $400 more . I would go with the 68 for the btus . Nothing worse than spending all that money and go dang wish i got bigger imo

Reactions: Hoot23
I'd split it and get the 61.

My installer advised me to go with the p43. HE said that it may be ok to go with p61a but he says I shouldn't be disappointed with the p43.

I wonder what the XXV is compared to the p43 price wise ??

My installer advised me to go with the p43. HE said that it may be ok to go with p61a but he says I shouldn't be disappointed with the p43.

I wonder what the XXV is compared to the p43 price wise ??
XXV is 50000 btu, splits the difference between the P43 and P61 and puts out about 90% or more convection heat. It will cost most of $1000 more than a P 43 I suspect. Give or take a few bucks with applying the Harman discount coupon. Beautiful looking stove, powerful convection only heat and a quiet stove compared with P stoves. More cleaning invoked, removing heat exchanger etc.

The stove will go in the family room on the left wall top corner. I am going to stick with the 43 and order it today.

The stove will go in the family room on the left wall top corner. I am going to stick with the 43 and order it today.
Yay/yea/yeah ( since a lot of people get confused over which spelling is correct I'll use all three, interjection, verb, noun etc). Good for you, do they stock it?

Status
Not open for further replies.