harman P61A door gasket..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We will all probably forget this conversation in 5-6 years if you used a graphite impregnated rope:)

Reactions: bogieb and Tonyray
aww man... the graphite rope deal......whooda thunk::-)
No big deal tony just order the graphite kit and have it there for next time you know it's pretty easy fix so no problem pretty cheap material so no loss plus the new one you put in is probly good for 3 or more years

Reactions: Tonyray
ok.. here's the scoop..
i used the 1/2" gasket.....White..
when I went to lock the door, it would not latch down..no matter how hard I pushed the door in. the handle locking mechanism on the inside would NOT go all the way in between the cutout [ears] for lack of a better word.. so, i just grabbed a pair of channel locks and bent both of the cutout ears a bit towards me or towards the outside.. that fixed it.. she locks good and tight.. and I mean TIGHT!!

NOTE: Just remembered something.. duh..

I always thought my stove door could have closed tighter last year so i looked at that cutout and noticed both ears bent a bit towards the front.. i'll bet when the original gasket was put on, the door would not latch so they prob bent it outwards a bit like i did yesterday.. anyways, I bent the ears inward last year as my gasket was getting a bit flat and then my door closed tighter... seems I had to do the same deal after I put the new gasket on and bend a bit outward... hope this all makes sense..!!!

I have to add one more fact here
The old Fire doors did not need that tab bent out but when Harman created the newly redesign door the tab had to bent out. My 2 cents!

I have to add one more fact here
The old Fire doors did not need that tab bent out but when Harman created the newly redesign door the tab had to bent out. My 2 cents!
OK...
that would explain the tab config on my P61A..
so in effect, i sorta messed it up a bit when i bent the tabs back last season.
that's why the door wouldn't shut with a new gasket...
learn something every day...