Harman PC45 squeak / squeal resolved (for now)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trylon

Mar 17, 2009
PA
Had the stove installed a couple weeks ago and have learned a lot from all of you prior to my purchase so wanted to maybe just help one other person. As I predicted to myself-- a day after the install there'd be something to drive me crazy- sure enough the ubiquitous squeal everyone has. Taking another day off work to wait for the stove store to come back is not an option so I tried lots of things to remedy to no avail. Just thought I would share how I fixed my squeal. All squeals are different and my squeal might not be your squeal but all squeals keep you up at night. My nails on chalkboard squeal would occur about once per auger revolution. I won't bore you with all my failed attempts- just the success (so far). sorry its a lousy photo.
1) Do the pellet mixed with graphite in baggy shake thing and puff a graphite puff onto the slide plate in the hopper-it can't hurt.
2) Remove right side rear shield and remove the thumbnail screw and remove feeder cover. Contort body to access this area and don't drop flashlight on face- like I did.
3) Place a drop of liquid wrench or other penetrating oil onto the pusher arm where it rotates at the places shown in photo. Sorry- don't know what that support is called.
4) Puff some graphite on the slide plate where shown.
Run on test mode to check for squeal - allow several minutes for it to work.
Well- if it helps one person I'll be happy. Remember- the squeal is almost guaranteed to return- just a matter of when.

Other boring comments about the stove.
It's a great stove and I do recommend it but it cost me a fortune to buy this cadillac-but I'll hopefully get 30% tax credit via Obama bucks, 10% rebate from Pennsylvania KeystoneHelp Program and 600 off from Harman cold cash program-should knock off 55% total off retail. Will burn pellets for the rest of this year and will burn corn partly next year- assuming my farmer friend stays in business. It's a pretty noisy stove but does the job. I find it prefers hardwood Juniata or Somerset pellets instead of Rocky Mountain softwoods (way more clinkers and ash). Goodbye electric baseboards.

PHOTO LOOKING STRAIGHT UP

Attachments

• stovedetail.jpg
    stovedetail.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,833
Thanks for sharing the experience and your resolution. It's just one more thing to stuff in the back of my mind for "things to check" when the misterious squeal starts.

The pic looks good and informative to me.

I have a PC 45 burning in the Brookfield Store. I have not had on burp, stutter, whimper, or squeak from the stove other then the Auger extension grinding corn. This is the Cadillac of stoves.

You did your research and math before buying, very nice.

Eric

Attachments

• SANY0363.JPG
    SANY0363.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,183
Thanks, had the same problem on a Harman XXV. Used a q tip saturated in household oil and rubbed the places indicated. Q tip made it easy to reach without having to take anything apart. Squeal stopped right away.

I had to stop that squeak on a P38+ a couple of years ago. I sprayed the hell out of everything with a healthy serving of Pledge. Probably used close to a half a can. Pledge does something to seal and lubricate metal when it gets hot.
I haven't had to redo it in years.
Honestly, I thought Pledge was a well known product around the pellet industry.

If you want it to work even quieter and smoother, take the slide out and file the sharp edges off of it. The I also opened up the slot ever so slightly where slide is driven by the plate. Make sure the plate/arm assy. can swing freely too. I had to realign the bushings on mine to get it to move freely. Then I took some spray graphite lube and coated the plate and the surface it slides on in the bottom of the hopper.

If you have a old chain drive model you can also take a few rubber washers and isolate the feed motor from the mounting bracket to knock down any vibration noise. Then check with a straight edge to make sure your sprockets are aligned. Mine weren't even close from the factory.

After doing all of that, the only thing I can hear is the pellets falling into the auger tube. I clean the sawdust trap and respray the slide once in the middle of the year, after about 1.5-2 tons.

Thanks alot. This was a simple easy fix. The noise was driving me crazy all weekend. With a little graphite and penetrating oil the stove is quiet as ever. Your description was right to the point and the picture clear and easy to follow. I will get good nights sleep tonight!!! Thanks again.

Jim G.

Status
Not open for further replies.