Harman Pellet stove with 2 flame guides?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wangcheung

Feb 26, 2022
USA
I'm asking about a Harman pellet stove that my father bought new a few years ago. He's getting older now and is a little forgetful so I'm trying to help him out. The problem is that there appears to be 2 flame guides, if that's possible, and the larger steel plate behind the smaller flame guide keeps falling down and covering the burn pot. I haven't seen the insides of the pellet stove up until now so I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like. Are there supposed to be 2 flame guides? They appear to just rest in place without any fasteners so it seems kind of weird. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have pictures at the moment but I can get some when I stop by his place. The stove is an insert and that's all I know at the moment. Thanks in advance

I have this for my Harman P35i

It explains what it's for in the description area. Maybe just maybe he has the same stove as I do.

Yes, that is exactly the part and how we have it placed. For whatever reason it keeps falling down. Thanks for identifying the part. Any thoughts why it's falling? It doesn't appear warped or cracked and just started giving my father trouble

Yes, that is exactly the part and how we have it placed. For whatever reason it keeps falling down. Thanks for identifying the part. Any thoughts why it's falling? It doesn't appear warped or cracked and just started giving my father trouble
I had this part in for about a week before it kept falling forward and looked like it would make the heat inefficient so it’s been out of the stove since then.

If you put in in correctly, it should remain in position. It should slide over the top of the flame guide & the should be placed so that it bends back towards the heat exchanger. There is a pic in the manual, figure 8-14.

The flame guide extension is installed correctly, I verified this yesterday. The problem is that there isn't any kind of mechanical fastener to hold it in place and it appears that the vibration of the auger/fans, .. may be causing it to move and eventually start tipping forward. I visually inspected the piece and it's not warped or damaged. The surfaces that it rests on are clean and clear of carbon and it rests on top of the flame guide but can be wiggled fairly easily and then it begin to tip forward. I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of fastener or means to ensure it doesn't move when installed. I'm hesitant to remove it since it a fairly substantial piece of steel. We'll see if it stays put but I'm doubtful.

Thanks everyone for the input so far
20220227_142232.jpg

A few well placed dabs of RTV may help

You have the large deflector in 180 degrees backwards. It's correct small end down, large up but the bow in the metal should be toward you. It wedges in tight behind the small flame guide and holds it in place - only thing should touch at the top is those two small tabs. I have two of these and that plate has never fallen out. (I think someone is trolling you with the RTV idea.........;))
p.s. sweep/vac that stove out and make it happy!

No troll…..that was a genuine idea…