Harman PF-100 auger runs constantly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SonOfEru

Jan 11, 2018
Sanbornton NH
Harman PF-100 is in our workshop so at this time of year I only fire it up if I'm going to be working in there for a while and don't want my fingers cold. ☺️

So, a couple weeks ago, I started it up for the first time this season and it worked normally. Igniter got it going, auger gave it pellets once a minute. All was good.

Yesterday when I started it, the auger didn’t do its regular grind once a minute. It just made brief clicks. I shut it back down and thought now what? I had other things to do so I went and did them, and came back later and tried it again. This time when I turned the knob to Service, the auger began running constantly. It just ran and ran, filled the pot to overflowing, more than the igniter could ever get started. Even if it did ignite any of the pellets it would smother itself with fresh pellets.

Any ideas? I called the company that has serviced it and they are booked out to Dec 7, three weeks off. By then we might have cold enough that I would have to bring in a couple of space heaters to protect the plumbing.

Rats and darn.

The auger turns continuously when the feed adjustment dial is turned to "test" mode (which you probably know). Maybe that pot switch is messed up. People have successfully replaced pots without having to replace the whole board.

The auger turns continuously when the feed adjustment dial is turned to "test" mode (which you probably know). Maybe that pot switch is messed up. People have successfully replaced pots without having to replace the whole board.
Turns out I was wrong. I didnt know that the auger does turn continuously for a couple of minutes when it starts cold, to give the burn pot a good clean supply of pellets to start igniting. The service guy told me that so I tried again and well, I'm a dummy. It worked just like he said it should.
Whew!

Reactions: maraakate