harman tl300 or vermont defiant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acesover

May 19, 2008
Long Island, NY
hi everyone, im looking at puting a stove in half finished and insulated basement. the stoves i like are the defiant and the TL 300 any input from your thoughts would help. im also planing on putting some register in the floor the stove would be located under the living room witch has an open side of the stairs going to the second floor witch has 2 bedrooms one left and one right. the first floor has living room dining room kithen master bed not each with a doorway connecting them to each other. the house is an old brick home with spanish tile roof new windows on long island ny. hope thats enough info. please any thoughts would be apreciated.

a question about this after burn the 300 has do you have to manualy disingage it or is something that will disingage on its on when the temp of the stove drops and is it something that can be ran round the clock?

acesover said:
a question about this after burn the 300 has do you have to manualy disingage it or is something that will disengage on its on when the temp of the stove drops and is it something that can be ran round the clock?

how does the ash pan and grate work on the TL300? does anyone have the blower for it?

The after burn is enabled (air flow directed through the chamber instead of up the chimney) by moving the lever in a clock wise motion untill it clicks. To disengage it you need to move the lever in a counter clock wise motion. You would not want to load it when the airflow is directed into the after burn chamber because it will cause smoke to be spilled into the room.
As to if it will stall or not depends on many factors temp of the flue, inside temp of the stove, out side temp. I found out it burns much better and the after burn stays going the colder it is outside. Last night I couldn't get the after burn truly working untill the temps got into the mid-40's.

The ash pan and grate work really well on the TL-300. Sometimes when I am tiring to get it going in a hurry I open the ash pan door and it really gives it a boost of air. Before you re-load in the morning just move the coals around and most of the ashes will fall into the pan. As with all stoves it is good to a have a good layer of ash buildup on the bottom of the stove 1/2" - 1" works best.

I do not have the blower option for mine, I just use an eco fan on top of the stove. Here are the reasons why I didn't go with the blower and went with a eco fan instead:
1) The blower is only around 105 cfm the eco fan is around 150.
2) The blower cost around 250-300, the eco fan cost 100
3) The blower requires electricity, the eco fan does not
4) The blower cools the chamber after burn chamber causing more stalls, the eco fan is on top and does not effect the temp of the stove
5) I can place more then 1 eco fan on the until to double the output.
I may buy a heat wave fan to put on the other side of the stove since it can take more heat and has up to 300 cfm.

Do a search on TL300 and TL-300 and read Bruce's post. I think he has a blower on his and is very knowledgeable on this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.