Harman TLC 2000 Modifications

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbDrvr253

Minister of Fire
Aug 4, 2015
Northeast PA
Usually burn coal in winter in this stove. Wood in shoulder seasons. Have LOTS of wood ready to go. Thinking of going with just wood, as oil is low and can use it when not home, and get rid of some excess wood. Only problem is the grate system in the Harman does not do well with coals. Question is how thick a piece of sheet steel would I need to place on top of the grate system? And would this work to avoid the coals going right into the ash can? Anyone have any ideas?

What about the mesh grating they use on heavy duty landscaping trailers? A local trailer shop should have various sizes, and you could always buy a piece and then cut it down to size.

You could also try laying 1-1/4" firebrick splits down as the floor of the firebox. Those are only $2-3 each at Lowe's, TSC, or a masonry supply house. But that will make your firebox a little smaller in volume, too.

You could also try laying 1-1/4" firebrick splits down as the floor of the firebox. Those are only $2-3 each at Lowe's, TSC, or a masonry supply house. But that will make your firebox a little smaller in volume, too.
No problem there, firebox is HUGE! I did not even think of this. Would the hold up with the fire directly on em? I have built up the sides and back with more brick to allow bigger coal loads. Maybe have to try it. Bricks are cheap.

No problem there, firebox is HUGE! I did not even think of this. Would the hold up with the fire directly on em? I have built up the sides and back with more brick to allow bigger coal loads. Maybe have to try it. Bricks are cheap.

yes they hold up with a fire directly on them, mine and i'm sure many others have the bottom and sides of their stoves lined with brick

yes they hold up with a fire directly on them, mine and i'm sure many others have the bottom and sides of their stoves lined with brick

Yup, sides already covered as I burn coal in winter. Have to try it and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.