Harman XXV (NotTC) Igniter LED does not light on startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AppleRock

Dec 20, 2016
North Central NH
I'm not really a pellet stove guy (woodburner). This is so I can help my elderly mom get her older XXV repaired.

The LED on the control box for Igniter does not come on when stove is turned on.
Does this mean igniter is shot or shorting out the circuit?

It's not clear in the manual what this light actually indicates.
A. Does it indicate that 120AC is going to the igniter?
B. OR simply that the igniter circuit is enabled/turned on by the firmware on the control board?

In test mode the room blower, exhaust fan and auger all come on. No igniter LED in that mode either.
After cleaning the burn pot (Igniter area as well) and manually placing some pellets in the burn pot, with a little help from light fluid, I got the stove going. All seemed to operate normally after that.
1. Auger began feeding pellets in to replenish the ones I started with.
2. I could tell exhaust fan was working by the "dancing" of ignited ashes/sparks.
3. Room blower came on after 5-10 min. Stayed on after that.
4. Stove ran as normal for 8 hrs+

Couple days later same issue starting.
I have not taken any continuity meter measurements of the igniter as of yet. I'd assume there should be some (tho prob not a whole lot of) resistance to the igniter. I guess I'm more puzzled why the igniter LED is not coming on. Any thoughts would help in getting the big picture of the flowchart (order things that occur in normal operation of the unit)

LED on the control box for Igniter comes on when it lights pellets. Does it start fire? It will come on for every cold start with pellets.

Did you make sure that it is not set to manual mode?

Sorry, forgot to mention about that.
Yes it is manual/constant burn mode. That is how she runs the stove. On #1 or #2 most of the day, then #3 or #4 in the eve. Then she turns it off at night around bedtime.

She's never operated it in Auto/Temperature mode, constant burn mode.
The manual online has that switch labeled Auto/Disable, but in her manual it's labeled as Auto/Manual.

Both versions (her printed manual & the online ver here) of manual are kinda sketchy explaining what that switch actually does.
I was under the belief it should only be in Auto mode if operating in temperature control mode, so that if the temp @ thermostat stops calling for heat & the stove shuts down, the "Auto" mode will allow it to reignite itself automatically. In constant burn mode, this switch had no effect. Is my understanding of this not correct? Do you have to always start in Auto mode to enable the igniter?

Mine has a toggle switch that needs to be in auto mode to lite, after it is lit you can move it to manual mode. After it is lit you can move it to manual so the stove will go into a low burn and not shut off.

board.PNG

Sorry, forgot to mention about that.
Yes it is manual/constant burn mode. That is how she runs the stove. On #1 or #2 most of the day, then #3 or #4 in the eve. Then she turns it off at night around bedtime.

She's never operated it in Auto/Temperature mode, constant burn mode.
The manual online has that switch labeled Auto/Disable, but in her manual it's labeled as Auto/Manual.

Both versions (her printed manual & the online ver here) of manual are kinda sketchy explaining what that switch actually does.
I was under the belief it should only be in Auto mode if operating in temperature control mode, so that if the temp @ thermostat stops calling for heat & the stove shuts down, the "Auto" mode will allow it to reignite itself automatically. In constant burn mode, this switch had no effect. Is my understanding of this not correct? Do you have to always start in Auto mode to enable the igniter?

Yes I am pretty sure it has to be in Auto mode to lite.

Yes AUTO to light off. Plus if you want it to turn off it has to be in AUTO. If you have it in manual it will never fully shut down for cleaning. Normal Operation all of this

Yes AUTO to light off. Plus if you want it to turn off it has to be in AUTO. If you have it in manual it will never fully shut down for cleaning. Normal Operation all of this
If you have a Harman that will not shut off,after turning the mode switch to OFF,you have a problem.It should turn off no matter what position the igniter switch is in.

Reactions: bags
Thanks for all replies. I put switch into AUTO mode. Set on #3. Turned on stove. Igniter, Feed, Combustion & Distribution LED's all came on. After a few min. it started.
Mom couldn't remember what position the switch normally is in. Guess it's AUTO.
I learned a bit on how these pellet stoves operate due to this experience.
Thanks to all again, and hopefully this thread may help someone else in the future.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Thanks for all replies. I put switch into AUTO mode. Set on #3. Turned on stove. Igniter, Feed, Combustion & Distribution LED's all came on. After a few min. it started.
Mom couldn't remember what position the switch normally is in. Guess it's AUTO.
I learned a bit on how these pellet stoves operate due to this experience.
Thanks to all again, and hopefully this thread may help someone else in the future.
Yes,well done,Has to be in auto for igniter to work.As we are going into cold part of winter,clean the igniter next time you clean stove.Make a information card for your mom,that is what we did when she got older.