Harmon Accentra Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranckie

Hearth Supporter
Nov 11, 2006
Androscoggin County, Maine
I am getting ready to do an install on a Harmon Accentra fireplace insert, but it's going into a fireplace opening that I will create, using a Harmon zero clearance enclosure with all of their approved flue components. I am a person that believes in following all codes, and do my reading up front, BEFORE I start. I choose to do my own installations whenever I can because 1) I am capable, and 2) I have found that when properly done by me, the results are usually better and up to my standards, (I am just very fussy about workmanship). When I have everything complete with tiles surrounding the insert, the hearth, and the mantle, it should look like an insert that was placed into an existing fireplace. Because of the limited specs from Harmon, they don't go into much detail relative to the clearances required other than to say that the clearance is 0" from combustibles on the sides, and 12" between the top of the insert and combustibles above, like the mantle. I assume they mean the top of the insert itself (where the door opens to allow the dumping of pellets), and not the top of the cast iron surround piece above the insert. I will ask the dealer but was curious to see what others might have to say. Any other tips would also be most appreciated.

Ranckie

Thank you for the link to that ZC box. My vent pipe is going to go up for a ways and then out using their 4" PL pipe and thimble. Speaking of my exit pipe, I was a bit taken aback when I saw the Harmon picture that gives the outside clearences, and shows the vent pipe going out through the wall. It shows a pipe going out through the wall about a foot, and then shows a 45 degree ell on the end pointing down, which to me looks kind of crude. It looks like what you would expect to see on a shack in the woods. Can't the company that makes one of the best pellet stoves come up with some kind of exit bonnet that looks a bit more finished or refined?

ranckie said:
Thank you for the link to that ZC box. My vent pipe is going to go up for a ways and then out using their 4" PL pipe and thimble. Speaking of my exit pipe, I was a bit taken aback when I saw the Harmon picture that gives the outside clearences, and shows the vent pipe going out through the wall. It shows a pipe going out through the wall about a foot, and then shows a 45 degree ell on the end pointing down, which to me looks kind of crude. It looks like what you would expect to see on a shack in the woods. Can't the company that makes one of the best pellet stoves come up with some kind of exit bonnet that looks a bit more finished or refined?
Well I believe this would be the minimum venting requirement :)

ranckie said:

good point....but Harman doesnt make pipe, so youd likely see compatibility issues witht he various type of pipe commercially available....why dont the pipe companies make a better-looking termination? Most do make a dry-vent looking thing, but i dont like it......slows down gas flow and seems to tend to cause deposits ont he sidewalls of the house.

HarryBack said:
ranckie said:

good point....but Harman doesnt make pipe, so youd likely see compatibility issues witht he various type of pipe commercially available....why dont the pipe companies make a better-looking termination? Most do make a dry-vent looking thing, but i dont like it......slows down gas flow and seems to tend to cause deposits ont he sidewalls of the house.
Harry's back........... :)
Hope ya had a good holiday but you must have been busy this past weekend :)

yeah, my long weekend, had to work Sat and Sun, along with a Sudoku contest, and a Texas Holdum Contest.....busy...now Im tired and starting Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.