Harmon Oakwood, and minimum chimney height.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
OK, I've been buying the necessary chimney lengths for my Harmon Oakwood based on a 16' minimum chimney height listed in my owner's manual, and based on what the dealer told me. The room is a 16' x 17' room with a 5.5/12 pitched ceiling, 10" roof rafters. 16' puts the top of the chimney WAY above the roof peak

NOW, right before I climb up on the chimney and screw on all the pipe I bought, I RE-read the manual, and it reads, " The minimum recommended height for any chimney is 16' above the flue collar."

THEN it goes on to explain the 2-3-10' rule.

Now, why would it explain the 2-3-10' rule if the flat-out requirement was 16' minimum?

I'm beginning to think/hope that the 2-3-10' rule will work for me and the 16' requirement was mis-read by my dealer (and me) as a REQUIREMENT and not a guideline.

2-3-10' I believe would drop my total height a foot or two, and minimize the SCUD missile effect thru the roof.

Anybody want to weigh in with opinion or experience?

The 16' minimum is a recommendation, not gospel. But being a downdraft stove, it's good to pay heed to this recommendation. The 10/3/2 ruling is a separate issue for folks that might be installing their chimney away from the roof center. More importantly, if there are 90 degree changes in the smoke path, then definitely don't reduce the height. Each 90 will reduce draft.

brider said:
OK, I've been buying the necessary chimney lengths for my Harmon Oakwood based on a 16' minimum chimney height listed in my owner's manual, and based on what the dealer told me. The room is a 16' x 17' room with a 5.5/12 pitched ceiling, 10" roof rafters. 16' puts the top of the chimney WAY above the roof peak

You are not alone. I have the Lopi Leyden. It is another down draft stove. I have 17 feet of SuperVent pipe and stainless steel chimney over the flue. My chimney comes out 18-inches from the roof peek and towers above it about 5-feet. My driveway in 3/8's of a mile long and it can easily be seen from the mailbox. Deb calls it a lightning rod and my kids suggest aircraft warning lights. I have an additional 3-feet of chimney just in case I need more draft. I suspect some people refer to it as a ....you know. I don't care about that. I do care about having enough draft and that critical to the type of stoves you and I have.

I just checked my scale layout for my roof/chimney, and the peak of my roof is between 5-6' from my chimney centerline. So if I go 2' above the peak, my total chimney length from the stove collar is about 11'.

Does 11' sound too short for this type of stove?

Using the 16' minumum, my chimney will stick up 6 1/2' over my roof peak! Talk about a lightening rod!

I've got a 18" section and a 36" section I could omit from the stack height to see how it drafts. Would it be prudent to reduce my 16' height (actually, the total stack with the lengths I have is about 16.5') by 36" first to see how well it works?

What would be my obvious signs of insufficient draft?

How much would using 48" of double-wall stove pipe inside instead of single-wall help?

Try it with the shorter pipe... f it works well don't sweat it, if not add the pipe ad try again.

My father has this stove with about 18' of lined chimney and this stove really puts out the heat.

Good luck,

Garett

I see. :) My total stack height from the stove collar to cap actually about 16.5-feet. I have 12-feet of chimney and the rest is connector pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.