Harsh Winter = Tough Lessons Learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I am sure. Beech will have a more bluish cast to it. Red oak too can be very smooth; mostly the pin oaks, which are reds. I also agree that pictures can be very deceiving but this picture most definitely says red oak to me.

Can you please post a picture of those beech nuts? Also look around closely in the yard and see if there are some trees that both have smooth bark but one is more blue while the other should look like the picture below.

image-3.jpg
For what it is worth, here are some pictures of beech nuts. Click on the pictures to blow them up a bit.
Beech nuts.jpg Beech nuts-2.jpg Beech nuts-3.jpg
And this is a picture of beech bark. Notice the color and compare it with the picture of that tree in your yard. I hope this helps.
Beech bark.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am sure. Beech will have a more bluish cast to it. Red oak too can be very smooth; mostly the pin oaks, which are reds. I also agree that pictures can be very deceiving but this picture most definitely says red oak to me.

Can you please post a picture of those beech nuts? Also look around closely in the yard and see if there are some trees that both have smooth bark but one is more blue while the other should look like the picture below.

View attachment 130807
For what it is worth, here are some pictures of beech nuts. Click on the pictures to blow them up a bit.
View attachment 130808 View attachment 130809 View attachment 130810
And this is a picture of beech bark. Notice the color and compare it with the picture of that tree in your yard. I hope this helps.
View attachment 130811
Ok sounds good stand by I will get u those pics when it's light out tomorrow

View attachment 130639 View attachment 130640 View attachment 130641 View attachment 130642 Ready for next winter here In south east pa. Just moved into a 3 acre wooded property this winter a week later crippling ice storm brought down a section of a giant beech tree 5 feet fromy house. Needless to say got a cord and a half out of it split and stacked already. Ready to pull the trigger on a englander nc 30 this summer when the prices drop a bit. My godin stove is way too much work to keep the house at a comfortable temp. Once I fix my four wheeler I have at least 4 years worth of trees down in my property waiting to be cut and split. Most of it shag bark maple and beech tree. At least the ice storm was good for something! Here's some pics of the beech that nearly crushed the house.
Are we related? My name is Tim Burke- where you originally from?

quote="D8Chumley, post: 1704106, member: 27867"]Are we related? My name is Tim Burke- where you originally from?[/quote]
Haha I don't think so grew up around west chester pa
Here's better pics of the tree backwoods savage. sorry been raining like crazy around here.
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
These little guys seem to sprout off the big trees root system

If you are taking pics with a cell phone, if you turn it sideways the pics will be right when you post them that way we aren't turning our heads sideways to look at them.

That for sure is beech! Thanks for taking those additional pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.