Has anyone added 4 way splitter option to electric splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Jones

Sep 13, 2008
New hampshire
I was wondering if anyone has added 4 way splitter wings to their splitters... I have seen them on E-Bay for $46....just curious.. My wood is already split andI use it to make kindling. Wonder if it would work on my ryobi electric splitter

for that use it just might work

Hi folks,

Just responding to your inquiry about a four way wedge on an electric splitter. I bought a 3.5 inch cylinder, 20 amp electric motor, currently wired 120 volt, ( "16 ton" from Ramsplitter) and the person I spoke with on the phone suggested the four way wedge , and offered me a small discount on it. I bit, and am glad I did (at least until I dropped the four way wedge on my foot). I only split sections that are sixteen to eighteen inches long, and in Western Maryland, most of our hardwoods are second or usually third growth, so they are rarely more than eighteen inches in diameter.

I may use the regular wedge to break the largest logs sections in half, but then I use the four way most of the time. The pump usually down shift to the slow speed, higher pressure mode. The biggest problem is not power, but the table I bought with my splitter is too small to manage all this wood, and I end up dropping a couple of the larger splits on the ground. Usually I have to resplit them again,and the four way wedge is wonderful for this. Also, if you make need kindling, as I do, because I don't try and keep a fire going overnight, four way wedges are a wonderful kindling maker.

For what it is worth, the motor does not seem to labor, and the hydraulic fluid does not heat up. This is probably because my motor is spinning only at 1750 rpm (twice the torque of a 3450 motor, but only half the flow). The smaller volume of an 18 inch ram and 3.5 diameter cylinder allows plenty fast cycling for a person working alone.

Hope this helps,

Dave Howell

Sounds enterprizing , but I only have a 4 ton electric Ryobi splitter set up next to my wood stove....No wife to scream at me ...I guess I am lucky that way.... How do you attach it? From the photos I have seen on E-Bay it looks like you Drill holes through the splitter wedge itself....I have only wet splits to resplit so they will burn ...nothing too high pressure needed.
Thanks Joey Chang

I have a task force 5 ton electric and I don't think It would have enough power to use a 4 way wedge. Maybe on very small rounds 4-5" or less but not anything bigger and if it has a knot forget about it.Same goes for hickory or elm, just too stringy.Why would you need to split rounds that small into 4 unless for kindling?what do you do when you need bigger splits? Is it easy to change back to the single wedge? if not, it just wouldn't be worth the trouble of all the stalling that would happen and switching back and forth.

Ahhhhhhh...duh! i just reread your post and that is what you want it for, is for kindling. Well it might work for that, but your splits would have to be small already and pretty knot-less or you will be stalling out your splitter....often. I think It would be less trouble just to use the single wedge.go in from edge about a 1/4 inch split/repeat. That's what I am gonna do.

Status
Not open for further replies.