Hauled some more soft stuff for next year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Curry

Jul 7, 2014
Western NY
Working on The Three Year Plan, starting from zero after last winter. I had to go with softer stuff - red and silver maple, and poplar - for this year in order to have something even remotely dry for this year. I have some harder stuff - ash and BL - reserved for future years.

The plan seems to be working so far. I split it all on the small side, in spring and early summer, and I'm getting sub 20's on the MM on just about all of it. So that's the plan for next year as well. I have tons of maple on my property, so I hauled some more out of the woods this weekend to give me something to work on over the winter and spring to refill my current stacks.

Hauled most of this out on Saturday. The tops of a red maple and black cherry log that I'm saving for lumber. Both part of a huge windfall snag situation, that a tree climbing buddy of mine helped me get on the ground last weekend. Plus, another 16" or so red maple that came down early summer.

image3.jpg image4.jpg

Got this one out yesterday after I finished the lawn. Another 16" red maple trunk that broke off of a larger standing dead tree. I thought about saving this log for lumber as well, but it's in a low spot that stays wet most of the year, and I feared it might rot out too much if I leave it.

image7.jpg image8.jpg

Got it all on one trailer load. Unfortunately, my little John Deere rider mower couldn't pull it up the little 1' hill to get back on the trail. Used the winch I installed on the trailer to help pull it up the hill. Originally intended it to help with pulling logs down and around, but all I've ever used it for so far is assisting the poor little JD.

image9.jpg image10.jpg

Here it is all stacked up in my "log storage". My GF thinks I'm obsessed. I think it's much worse than that :)
image11.jpg image12.jpg

My wife thinks im obsessed because all i talk about is firewood. I had a burn pit before a heater just to have some place to burn. Im glad i found thus site full of people that have the same "addiction as me".

Very nice! Get it all split ASAP so itll start drying. Its nice to be able to pull from your own land huh?

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Keep working it, you will get to the 3 year plan before you know it.....

My wife thinks im obsessed because all i talk about is firewood. I had a burn pit before a heater just to have some place to burn. Im glad i found thus site full of people that have the same "addiction as me".

Wife thought I was obsessed and crazy all last summer.(How much more do you need! Arent you almost done! Why do you keep coming home with more wood!) After last winter with it being warmer in the house and running out of wood, she hasnt said a thing and even backs me up when the neighbors ask if I have enough wood yet. lmao!

Wife thought I was obsessed and crazy all last summer.(How much more do you need! Arent you almost done! Why do you keep coming home with more wood!) After last winter with it being warmer in the house and running out of wood, she hasnt said a thing and even backs me up when the neighbors ask if I have enough wood yet. lmao!
I knew we wasnt alone. Last winter after propane hit $4 a gallon. The house never was warm. I think shes looking forward to it being warm the year. So she tolerates my wood gathering.

Status
Not open for further replies.