Hauling wood by hand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi -

Good Ole single wheel Wheel barrow has worked best so far. It's not as picky about bumpy or sloped ground. It can carry plenty of wood and still be strapped down upside down on top of the load.

Several 'Red Wagons" died and were briefly resurected before this epiphany.

Tony, the rickshaw is the way to go, those folks may be poor but they sure ain't stupid.

I was thinking of a log arch of a sort, two motorcycle wheels with the axles welded together so there's enough room between the wheels to fit the largest log you want to drag. something welded onto the axle to hold the log, sort of like the telephone pole trailers that utility trucks have. the axle would be positioned about one third back from the front of the log, and you'd have some sort of handle to drag this from the front as the back end dragged along the ground. or you could make a motorcycle wheeled running gear with a handle just like a radio flyer, only 6-10 foot wheelbase, wouldn't need a complicated steering arangement, the handle would just be fixed to the front axle and the rear would be almost the same construction as the front axle it would just attach with a pin to the front axle.

100 yards seems too far to carry wood to me, a small bobsled worked great when I did backyard logging, but that's kind of limited.

Heads Up Everyone!!

PETA's on the way . . . seems they heard someone was was over killin' asses and apparently asses are aminals . . .

I forgot my french canadian heritage for a moment there.

All you do is lash the ends of two logs together with a rawhide strap that your wife pulls with her forehead while you ride on the buffalo robe on the back, voila, a travois.

Status
Not open for further replies.