Hauling wood by hand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
My wood-haulin' wagon bit the dust.

I'm not convinced that I want to go out an buy another one exactly like it. The steering mechanism was a little flimsy, and the axle length was too short making the wagon top-heavy when cornering.

I hold a gathering permit for a piece of public land that does not allow ATVs so I need some clever way of getting the wood roughly 100 yards to the truck.

I'm not sure if there's too many folks in my predicament. It seems that most here gather on private land and can either drive the truck to the wood or use an ATV. I don't have that luxury.

I'm thinking one of those 800# hand trucks with the inflatable tires might be workable. But if I set a long log crosswise I'll need a rather wide trail. If I set the log upright on the dolly it could get a bit heavy to hold.

Any suggestions?

How about a nice wheel borrow?

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
My wood-haulin' wagon bit the dust.

I'm not convinced that I want to go out an buy another one exactly like it. The steering mechanism was a little flimsy, and the axle length was too short making the wagon top-heavy when cornering.

I hold a gathering permit for a piece of public land that does not allow ATVs so I need some clever way of getting the wood roughly 100 yards to the truck.

I'm not sure if there's too many folks in my predicament. It seems that most here gather on private land and can either drive the truck to the wood or use an ATV. I don't have that luxury.

I'm thinking one of those 800# hand trucks with the inflatable tires might be workable. But if I set a long log crosswise I'll need a rather wide trail. If I set the log upright on the dolly it could get a bit heavy to hold.

Any suggestions?

Do they allow UTV'S?

zap

No. no UTVs.

I thought of a wheelbarrow. I might resort to that. Just that under a heavy load and on rough terrain they tend to dump. Maybe one of those two wheeled barrows.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
No. no UTVs.

I thought of a wheelbarrow. I might resort to that. Just that under a heavy load and on rough terrain they tend to dump. Maybe one of those two wheeled barrows.

yep they make some nice ones that haul a big heavy load

I like to use the kids Wagon. :)

It's strong little wagon made by Step 2 or Fisher Price not sure but works really well.

big boy wagon wheel it right into the trailer and dump repeat!

Attachments

• 755625014870lg.jpg
    755625014870lg.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 619
Any sort of motorized vehicle, other wise you need the big garden cart with the 26 inch wheels.

Do like my FIL use a set of mules... A good team can really move the logs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I guess the would be a little overkill for you tho...

southbound said:
Do like my FIL use a set of mules... A good team can really move the logs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I guess the would be a little overkill for you tho...

we like overkills!

MMaul said:
It's strong little wagon made by Step 2 or Fisher Price not sure but works really well.

If it's not a "Radio Flyer" little red wagon, it's not a REAL wagon.

I converted my wheelbarrow to two front wheels (had the wheels from something else, an hour of welding and it is two wheels. But I can bolt on the old setup if I want to) and it is nice around the yard, or when using as a work surface with concrete saw or something. more stable.

BUT, it sucks on rough surfaces, and is hard to steer. Any disturbance hitting one wheel makes it jerky and hard to control. The old cement loads on one wheel were stable in one direction at least. I would not do the two wheel for hauling wood on rough surface.

The old style farm carts with two high wheels and loads down low hauled some big loads. The pic in post abovbe is that concept.

The wagon in my avatar works pretty well

It depends upon what size the trees are that you are cutting. If they aren't too big then perhaps you do not need anything for hauling them out. For example, one time we cut a bunch of trees that were about 12-14" at the base. So I cut them into approximately 8 to 10 foot lengths and simply walked them out (I was a bit younger then too). Once you learn how to do it you will be amazed at how much you can carry if the load is balanced.

Here is how I do it. Stand the log on end. Get close to it and then bend the knees but not the back. Grasp the log and stand up straight and while doing this, also start tipping the log so it can rest on your shoulder (you might put some padding there). As stated, when you do it this way you will be simply amazed at how much you can handle. When you get it balanced on your shoulder, start walking and watch your step.

I taught my young sons how to do this very thing. First I had them just try to lift a log and there was no way! Even some they could barely lift, when I then showed them how it was done they could hardly believe it. Naturally I told them they had some bragging rights as to how much they could lift. Then I encouraged them because it would build muscles. Then I didn't have to work as hard. lol

Believe it or not, on uneven ground it is much easier and faster to do it like this. However, if you have some 3' diameter stuff, then the mules sound better.

Does anyone have experience with the Gorilla wagons on Amazon.com or in Nothern Tool, they are rated 600#, 1,000# and 1,200 # capacity. I I saw the 600# at a local hardware it seemed a little small and lightweight.

The wagon in my avatar works pretty well

I have the same one as in daveswoodhauler's avatar. Looks like the same one in the
Norther Tool link. I paid $89 for it at Lowes earlier this year, then saw it somewhere
else for $79 and last week, either Odd Lots or Big Lots had it for $59. Shop around.

It works pretty well, I've used it quite a bit to haul small logs and splits and now for spring clean up.
Moves over rough ground pretty well, even rigged up a hitch to pull it behind the ATV

We use a large garden cart. The big wheels are great for all terrain use. I also like that you can push or pull it. One suggestion though, put some green slime in the tires or switch to GreenTyres if you have lots of blackberries.

http://www.agri-fab.com/products/45-0177.aspx

Karen Helle
1350 Stone Creek Road
Dillon, MT 59725

Day Phone: 406-660-0574
Evening Phone:
[email protected] Animal #1 Animal #2
Name: Kate Annie
Breed: Large Standard Donkey Large Standard Donkey
Color: Black w/light points Black w/light points
Sex: Mare/Jenny Mare/Jenny
Date of Birth
(mm/dd/yy): 2000 2003
Height: 12.5 hands 13 hands
Weight:
Training: no training/green no training/green
Trained for:
Hitches: not hitched yet not hitched yet
Price (US$): 1250.00
Comments: These two beautiful large standard Jennies are ready for a job. They would make a great driving team, pack animals, livestock guardians or family pets. Annie is 6 and Kate is 9 yrs old. They are both proven mothers and Annie is currently due to foal any day. These girls are very social and will come to greet you out in the pasture. Also available is Annie’s yearling foal

Backwoods Savage,

Yes. We've been doing things that way for the smaller stuff - almost like doing the old tackling drill in football. Knees bent, put your shoulder in the middle of "their body", straighten legs and drive 'em back for a loss of yards. Now that I put it that way maybe I should be shopping for a set of shoulder pads, not a wagon :coolsmile:

I'll also flip them end over end.

That wagon worked pretty slick.

I saw a 1000# dolly at Tractor Supply w/ 16" inflatable tires. Anyone use something like that?

I have a two wheel hand cart that work pretty good for hauling a few rounds at a time and the yellow utility wagon are pretty nice also.
Are ricshaws allowed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.