Have I told you how much I hate stacking wood?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skier76 said:
nocdpc said:
when I cut my wood I lay 2 rows of the cuts down and stack ontop of them. I stacked 16 cords this past January and it is all in the pile still.

Wow! That's not a pile...that's a house foundation! Nice work.

Thanks. 1/2 the pile is mine and the other half is my friend who also has a woodstove(Hearthstone). My Jotul 600 burning in CT has saved me over 700gallons in oil LMAO! I go through about 3.5 cords of wood in a 2500sqft colonial.

nocdpc said:
Skier76 said:
nocdpc said:
when I cut my wood I lay 2 rows of the cuts down and stack ontop of them. I stacked 16 cords this past January and it is all in the pile still.

Thanks. 1/2 the pile is mine and the other half is my friend who also has a woodstove(Hearthstone). My Jotul 600 burning in CT has saved me over 700gallons in oil LMAO! I go through about 3.5 cords of wood in a 2500sqft colonial.

Nice! That's really good to know. My wife and I are kicking around putting a wood stove into our place in CT. Based on our layout, I don't think it could heat the entire house. But I'm sure it would knock a few hundred gallons of oil out of the tank per year....eventually paying us back.

I stack 2 rows next to each other on pallets. Then when the stack gets to 2 feet tall I bridge the two with one of the longer splits. I do this every 6 ft or so then stack on top of the bridge. Repeat every 18 inches in row height. Seems to work great. Instead of having 2 -18 in wide rows I now have one 36 in wide stack with the rows tied together.

By this time, I usually have one end of my wood stacks leaning, but nothing has fallen for a few years. I also figure by now it wouldn't be worth re-stacking, May would be another story

I hate stacking wood too. I don't have level ground and most of what I have is all different lengths because it was cut by the city and I'm not going to stop them if they want. I think next year I'm going to just put down pallets and heap it. My first double row fell towards the left so on the second double row I tried to lean them toward the right to counter act it. It'll be on the ground in a few months. This is all red oak. If I don't heap it then I've got to invest in T- posts or something to keep it better. This is also stacked wayyyyyyy too high at around 6 1/2 feet. I didn't want to start another row so just kept stacking it up higher and higher. One day I'll learn I guess.

Attachments

• DSCF3034.JPG
    DSCF3034.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 332
Height of wood piles is where most people go wrong. I try to keep mine around 4' but do sometimes go a little higher.

Skier76 said:
nocdpc said:
Skier76 said:
nocdpc said:

Nice! That's really good to know. My wife and I are kicking around putting a wood stove into our place in CT. Based on our layout, I don't think it could heat the entire house. But I'm sure it would knock a few hundred gallons of oil out of the tank per year....eventually paying us back.

I stack wood on my deck right outside my house and bring in what I need each night for burning. I own this canvas wood caring thing-a-ma-bob I bought at lowes for carrying wood like a suitcase. It helps you to not get all dirty and stuff when bringing in the wood each time.

It is kinda like this except I bought mine for $5 lol

http://productsfromnz.com/browse_1226

My F600 stove is all the way on the side of the house. I use a fan to blow heat out of the room and it fills the rest of the house nicely. You will be surprised how well the heat will find the rest of the house.

^^I second nocdpc's recommendation on that canvas wood carrier. We've been using the same on for over 15 years and next to the wheelbarrow it's my next most convenient wood handling device. Thank you all for the woodpile complements...it's has just grown over the years.

wendell said:
We've had quite a bit of rain here the last few days and as I was walking around the back of the house this morning, look what greeted me.

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

I was actually afraid they might fall the other way as they had developed a bit of a lean in that direction so have no idea how they fell the way they did. Of course, if I had an idea, maybe they wouldn't have fallen over.

I sure wish I would've committed to the Fireview sooner so I would've cut all this 16". I hate short wood.

I hate stacking too, and I don't put nearly the thought or effort into it that you do!

Here's a potential solution. The big racks are 8 feet long, 6 high and two stacks wide. Cost about $45 a piece in treated lumber. Also if you space them out, you can run a long stack between them. This may seem like a lot of trouble & expense, but for me it was an effective way to cram a lot of wood onto my smallish city lot while keeping things neat and orderly. I also feel less worried about the stacks falling over on my small children.

Attachments

• DSC01087.jpg
    DSC01087.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC01090.jpg
    DSC01090.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC01094_2.jpg
    DSC01094_2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 275
Status
Not open for further replies.