Have You Hugged Your Chimney Liner Lately?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Missing Brick to Blame for Fire That Gutted Prince George's County Home

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Two-Counties-Respond-to-Maryland-House-Fire-463174403.html

74d3ef60-1946-4bb4-83f4-95cb88291fe5-large16x9_PGMajorFire.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes.

And this is why I have mine done each year. I know it's easy enough to clean by myself and it would save me money, but if this were to happen and I was cleaning it myself, the insurance company comes along and asks for the inspections...uh oh ;em. My point is get it checked each year regardless of who cleans it. Hopefully, just like insurance, you never need them.

One brick missing? Sounds like no tile liner in the chimney.

It's amazing that some homes are still standing, especially older homes with original fireplaces. Our house had a 1925 unlined chimney. To make matters worse there was lots of wood against the brick. And even worse, over its lifetime take offs had been cut for other stoves. One of these was never bricked in, but instead framed over and coated with plaster! And then there were a few major earthquakes during its lifetime. When we moved in the first thing I did was to install a rigid metal liner. That bought us some time, but I still had doubts. An earthquake a few years later rotated the chimney top 45º with only the liner holding it in place! The fireplace came out completely in 2006 and is not missed.

There's a lot to be said for a proper and safe installation. Folks may grumble at the price of a liner, especially if insulated and the tiles have to be broken out, but saving lives and the home has no price tag.

Last edited:
Is it common practice to put a camera down and visually inspect the chimney? If so, I'll have a reason to buy a camera I guess! Actually, I could probably get a pretty good video using an old cell phone and some fishing line. Or actually just taping it to my chimney rods and lowering/rotating it down.