Having trouble finding a fireplace door that fits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatconductor

Oct 8, 2015
Michigan
My wife and I are adopting a 3 year old next month and I am trying to child proof the house. We just moved into a new house a few months ago and there is a fireplace which is just in the wall without a hearth or any doors or screen. I need to find a way to block this off that's not going to be too tacky. Please see the picture below. I have been looking around for prefabricated glass doors and I'm having trouble finding one that has flashing attached to it so I can remove the trim and have it look alright. Does anyone have any recommendations on doors I can buy that will fit and can have flashing included or purchasable as an option? I would prefer a door I don't have to order custom just due to the timing but if that's my only choice I will go that route.

The inside dimensions are 43" wide and 24.25" tall. The trim is 2.25" wide.
20151004_210807.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want it to look nice, ordering custom from a hearth store is the way to go.

I hope you haven't been using the fireplace up to this point. The first thing I notice is that at some point the fireplace face has been covered with drywall, then trimmed around the opening. That raises a few red flags concerning clearances to combustible materials. With the vented gas log it wouldn't likely pose any real issues, but it's not done correctly.

Second: all the sand has been removed from the burner pan. The gas is intended to seep through the sand that's on the burner, or if it's LP then it would have vermiculite rather than sand. You really should have your log serviced and the fireplace inspected. While they are there ask about reface ideas as well as doors.

Wow, wondering how that ever passed bank and insurance approval.

I wouldn't spend a lot on temporary measures. A piece of plywood painted the wall color would work. In the long run I would strip off the wall covering for 9-12" surrounding the opening and give it a tile or brick veneer, then add a proper hearth extending at least 16" in front of the fireplace.

If you want it to look nice, ordering custom from a hearth store is the way to go.

I hope you haven't been using the fireplace up to this point. The first thing I notice is that at some point the fireplace face has been covered with drywall, then trimmed around the opening. That raises a few red flags concerning clearances to combustible materials. With the vented gas log it wouldn't likely pose any real issues, but it's not done correctly.

Second: all the sand has been removed from the burner pan. The gas is intended to seep through the sand that's on the burner, or if it's LP then it would have vermiculite rather than sand. You really should have your log serviced and the fireplace inspected. While they are there ask about reface ideas as well as doors.
We haven't used it at all yet and have no plans to. Personally I'm not a fan of gas fireplaces and the long term plan would be to buy a wood burning insert. The Napoleon 1101 has a flush mount option that would allow me to get away without a hearth. I know I will still need to do repairs at that point. The problem right now is that I just don't have the money. Most likely I will take this on next year about this time. In the meantime maybe a cheaper option would be to just put a screen around it and not use it. What do you think?

The Napoleon 1101 or any other flush mount insert will still need a hearth. If worried about the child playing in there, put a piece of painted plywood up until you are ready to do the job right.

Status
Not open for further replies.