Hazards of Removing Fireplace Brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Esterhaze

Aug 14, 2022
Tennessee
I wanted to remove the back brick to this fireplace to allow more room for an insert. It is in a stone fireplace/chimney that has recently been repointed but likely had lime mortar previously. The top brick has already broken free but was wondering if there are solid reasons to not do this? Structural failure? Maybe a way to test for stability?

IMG_0025.jpegIMG_0026.jpegIMG_3635.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
To my understanding an insert needs a full masonry fireplace to be inserted in. Taking out bricks could make it illegal to put an insert in there, depending on what is behind the bricks. Have you talked to a professional (chimney sweep or installer)?

To my understanding an insert needs a full masonry fireplace to be inserted in. Taking out bricks could make it illegal to put an insert in there, depending on what is behind the bricks. Have you talked to a professional (chimney sweep or installer)?
I have spoken to three different fireplace authorities (two sweep companies, one retail) and I have gotten minimal traction with them. The fireplace retailer/installer is fairly helpful but hard to communicate with. There isn’t a legality issue where I live and I haven’t read anything that indicates this is going against installation instructions. I will still have an exterior facing fieldstone fireplace that is ~12” thick and the installation will have an insulated flue liner. I could also potentially install thinner firebrick and achieve a good depth.

That (12" stone to the exterior) may be fine - if there is that much (width of 2 courses of brick?) between the fireplace and any combustibles.

Regardless, the "fine or not" is a legality issue; inserts require to be installed in a full masonry fireplace. As far as I know there are no exceptions for that. Again, if you have that much stone left, it might be fine. But I'm not sure what the 2 courses of brick mean - should that be firebrick or any stone...?

There will be others who know the exact details.

There are zero clearance fireplaces that do not need such a fireplace.

Going with an insulated liner is a good thing.

I have spoken to three different fireplace authorities (two sweep companies, one retail) and I have gotten minimal traction with them. The fireplace retailer/installer is fairly helpful but hard to communicate with. There isn’t a legality issue where I live and I haven’t read anything that indicates this is going against installation instructions. I will still have an exterior facing fieldstone fireplace that is ~12” thick and the installation will have an insulated flue liner. I could also potentially install thinner firebrick and achieve a good depth.
If you have 12" of solid masonry without the firebox legally and safety wise you are fine. And yes your state does have codes that apply to you even if it won't be inspected you are required to follow them. As far as structurally it's rare that the firebox is structural at all but it does happen sometimes. You need to inspect everything carfuly as you take it apart and stop if it looks like it is supporting something