Health/Climate advocacy group has it's sights set on EPA wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sounds familiar. The website says nothing about who this actually is. I'm wondering if this is a remake of the California group that was trying to ban wood stoves years ago. I note that a lot of references are to Humboldt County.

Reactions: Ashful
Not sure. Their Twitter handle was established in 2017, with near daily tweets against wood burning.

They do reference studies by well known scientists and organizations, and are making the case for cleaner forms of energy.

I have been reading reports and websites about this since 2006 here on H.com. Twitter and Facebook now gives them a louder megaphone. Some of the complaints, like about poorly run OWBs can be correct. Others, not so correct.

They also are pretty much only looking at the emmisions from the combustion of these different fuels. To be a fair comparison you need to consider the ecological effect of production as well

I suspect that there are disinformation campaigns being run by fossil fuel companies. It's so easy and cheap to do now, with social media. When the tobacco companies did it a several decades ago, it was expensive because you had to pay the experts to do it, and ad time in the media. Today, it's much cheaper, easier, and more effective. It's not conspiracy theory. Our last big election was turned by it, and it's here to stay.

Reactions: Smolder and bholler
I suspect that there are disinformation campaigns being run by fossil fuel companies. It's so easy and cheap to do now, with social media. When the tobacco companies did it a several decades ago, it was expensive because you had to pay the experts to do it, and ad time in the media. Today, it's much cheaper, easier, and more effective. It's not conspiracy theory. Our last big election was turned by it, and it's here to stay.

You think this group is a disinformation campaign run by a fossil fuel company? Seems unlikely, as they are promoting efficient heat pumps seperceding natural gas heat.

As far as social media goes, obviously it is going to be used by special interests to advance their agendas. It is certainly not just one side using these tactics. After all, the tech companies themselves are predominantly on the other side of the aisle and have engaged in their own shady-ness.

Reactions: Ashful
You think this group is a disinformation campaign run by a fossil fuel company? Seems unlikely, as they are promoting efficient heat pumps seperceding natural gas heat.

As far as social media goes, obviously it is going to be used by special interests to advance their agendas. It is certainly not just one side using these tactics. After all, the tech companies themselves are predominantly on the other side of the aisle and have engaged in their own shady-ness.
I didn't research enough to comment on this specific group, but even efficient heat pumps get their electricity from somewhere, and currently much of it is from fossil fuels. So, that proves nothing.

Plus, utilities are fighting tooth and nail to protect their business, and it could be them. Look at the way the utilities across the country are lobbying their states to pass legislation to inhibit rooftop solar.

If you look at the tobacco companies' campaigns, they even went so far as to enlist real doctors to endorse their brands as the healthy choice, so...

To your other point, there is no "both sides" here. There is truth, and then there are lies told to protect people's financial interests, to the detriment of some other group. As soon as you consider disinformation as a "side", they already got you.

My utility gets almost nothing from me for heat every winter. Almost nothing. If I had sun or wind, they'd get almost nothing for electricity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smolder
Interesting you would say that, right after implying that group was fossil fuel company disinformation, without doing any research.
What research would you recommend I do to find this out? Are these people so bad at this that a regular person would be able to figure it out?

There is plenty of evidence that I don't need to waste my time, either on researching this particular group, or trying to convince people who have already dug in. Enjoy watching your planet burn.

Last edited:
I wonder which lobby or manufacturers group pays them? Wood for me (epa stove) means i burn a $1000/month less fossil fuel (propane, which is trucked or brought in on rail 3000km). So... i love my low particle almost carbon neutral heat. I also uniquely live in a very old town where 9/10 homes heat with wood (and have since the 1840s)