HEAPINHAUSEN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
This is what happens when you have some spare materials, time and a couple of beers.

I needed some place to put the chunk wood that doesn't stack well so I built this. The chicken wire keeps the wood from falling down. To help the air flow through the pile (I think), I used a six inch perforated plastic drain pipe and a solar powered vent I had laying around from a past project. I sealed the other end of the pipe so more air will will flow through the perforations. I have no idea if it will make any difference in drying time, but I don't think it will slow it down any.

I do plan to cover the top (except the vent, of course) like the rest of my wood piles.

Attachments

• heapinhausen.JPG
    heapinhausen.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 526
Heapinhausen or Chunkinhausen? ;)

Nice heapinhausing.....now...If you installed MAGIC HEAT on top of the piping you would be in business.

I did a 10x10 pile this spring and left a 1x1 "air chimney" in the center. No pipe though - nice touch with the solar vent!

ilikewood said:
Nice heapinhausing.....now...If you installed MAGIC HEAT on top of the piping you would be in business.

Didn't Billy Mays do an ad for the MAGIC HEAT before he died? "this one tool can do it all, it slices, it dices, it juliennes, it dries out your firewood, puts a new shine on your car, clears up your acne and deposits this wonderful hard brown deposit to smooth out the rough edges of your chimney (oops, I meant chimni)!"

Or, maybe it was just a dream?

That's a good idea for storing wood except it might become a bit of a pain when you go to get the wood out.

I don't see anything there that should be hard to stack into a regular wood pile, but you are to be complimented for trying this idea.

Backwoods Savage said:
That's a good idea for storing wood except it might become a bit of a pain when you go to get the wood out.

I don't see anything there that should be hard to stack into a regular wood pile, but you are to be complimented for trying this idea.

Thanks. I was able to reach the center bottom with no problem when I pulled the pieces from the middle to run the pipe (it was an afterthought to add the pipe), so I reaching the splits should be no problem (except when I get caught up in the wire fence where it comes together).

You are right that some of the pieces are stackable. But, a lot of what you can't see is real chunk stuff and would screw up the regular stacks. I tossed in some stackable pieces to fill the pile. Also, I stack the regular piles three rows to a 4x8 platform so the ideal length is 16" if there are no air spaces between the ends of the spilts (but there are always some that are shorter and longer). The 10-14 inch pieces are stackable, but waste space unless I toss a few smaller pieces perpindicular to the rows and that restricts air flow.

I guess whatever variations we try, the end result should be the same (dry wood).

I like it. I'm in the process of building another holzhausen and instead of stacking splits vertically in the center as usual, I'm using it as a place to "stack" all of my chunks, shorties, and odd sized pieces. The solid outer ring of splits holds it all in. Since I'm a scroungaholic I get lots of pieces that are bucked to odd lengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.