Heard the Saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GENECOP

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2014
Ny
In my neighborhood, not shy by nature I always ask...( what are you doing with that wood) This crew said, "you want it" sure I replied. The smaller tree companies don't have the big equipment to handle big pieces, so they have to cut everything down to size ..my good luck, here is the haul from last week..

th_b19d5046468761259b014eafa72d55f8.jpg

Damn. Nice one. I would love to have a pile that size dumped for free

I would love, and my neighbors would hate, to see the amount of wood you got if it were sitting in my yard.

Here in Northern NJ, the landscapers and tree companies have to pay to legitimately dump their truckloads of wood. So I am never shy about asking (and even offering a tip for the driver) if they dump something nice like oak in the back of my driveway. I figure that they win on both ends - getting to keep the dumping fee that they'd already baked into the price and getting an extra $20 on top of that. It works best with the smaller guys who don't chew up the wood and have to hump the rounds into trucks by hand. I also check out the cul-de-sacs and side roads where the ones who don't want to pay the fee may lose their load.

Nice grab it never hurts to ask. It seems like it works out the more you ask more and more tree removal companies just don't want to deal with it especially the big stuff.

Around here the tree crews chip everything or haul it to their yard to chip and sell as mulch. I've quit wasting my time on them.

I see the tree companies chip branches that are 16". I watched a machine turn rounds at least 36" into mulch. I asked a few times, and some said they're taking it. You're lucky you got that nice pile.

Nice find:cool:

Good score!

Status
Not open for further replies.