Hearth and Home (Heatilator) Fire Place Struggling to Start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jyeom10

Jan 21, 2021
Portland, OR
Hi Community,
My name is Jeff and I've been looking for a forum like this for some time. I'll try to give as much detail as possible to give you context of my problem.
I have a Hearth and Home Fire Place. The model number is ND3933I and the serial number is GA1640065. We haven't been able to get the fireplace running for several months. As of the last hour or so I've been able to get the fire place running but that was only possible by messing around with the part I believe is called the burner. The burner essentially plugs in loosely to the gas valve underneath the pilot assembly (picture #1). The thing is this burner doesn't line up perfectly with the screw holes on the piece of metal it sets in the middle of, thus forcing me to slide the burner over to the right a tad bit. The next thing I noticed was the pilot and burner go on when the glass is not latched. However, as soon as the glass is latched to cover the fireplace, it won't light. This make me think that not enough oxygen is getting in. Does anybody have any solutions to this? I know I need to spray on more fire resistant paint and probably get a new burner because blue flames came out of one of the screw holes (no good!). Thanks in advance for your help. Hope this description gave enough context.

IMG_0168 (1).jpg

Please take a video of the flames with the glass off
& then when the glass is on.
Post it here so I can see what the flames are doing.

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. As requested, there first one is the one with the glass and the second one is the one without the glass.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.mov
    12.2 MB
  • IMG_0174.mov
    10.2 MB
What is the configuration of your venting? Is it horizontal or vertical?
Here is another video. I had to crack open the glass before it decided to light. Some flames go in and out of the middle area where my finger is pointing. There is a slight breeze that does come through the venting. After having it run for about 5 minutes or so, we do smell not gas but a slight burning smell? It's sort of not bearable.

Attachments

• Video.mov
    740.9 KB
Last edited:
I would check the venting for obstructions.
When was the LAST time you were able to
use this unit without issues?
Can post a pic of the vent cap?

Last edited:

Hi again,
The last time it was run without any issues was 2019 winter (sounds like forever ago now haha). Attached are the images of the vent from the outside of the house.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 167
I’ve been able to get the fireplace running almost consistently but now the problem is the fire place runs for about five minutes, the flames go away for a couple of seconds, then the flames come back. It’s done it two more times and then the flames went away. I hit the switch again and the flames came on. Bizarre!

Are you using a wall switch?
If so, check the wiring to make sure it's 18 ga. T-stat wire.
Pull wires from the switch & "jump" them together.
How long does the unit stay on?