Hearth.com convinced me to not heat with wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Entburner

Nov 28, 2010
Olympia/ Tacoma WA
After lots of research and a few questions, we decided not to heat with wood.

The main problem is that I can't afford to buy a stove, and then not have any seasoned wood available to burn. I could either have an empty stove or worse, a dangerous wet fire. As many have pointed out, Craigslist is a gamble.

So this year, insulate, seal, tighten. Build a woodshed. Buy a saw, cut some logs and split them. Put it all away till next year. The, over the summer, buy a leftover stove when the prices are (hopefully) low. By then we'll be ready to burn.

So thanks for the help. We're going to take it slow and do it right. In the meantime, I'll put on the raingear and chop chop chop.

Smart decision to do it right. In the meantime, you get good exercise.

Great job. I heated my first year with marginal wood and lots of pallets....

The only caveat is that you will miss out on the tax credit unless they eventually sign the Cash for Caulkers bill which is tied up in the senate.

I'm in the same boat but I've got several cords split and well seasoned and newer stuff seasoning. By the time I actually get my stove I'll be ahead 3 years in fuel. I got my tax credit last year with new furnace and ac. I figure with the credit expiring there will be better deals on stoves...maybe. I hope to buy mine in 2011.

And, I know you tend to have a wetter climate, but I would reorder into: get wood, split, and stack, then worry about the woodshed and everything else.

"Hearth.com convinced me to not heat with wood"

Yet.

Splitting before stacking. Got it. I CAN afford a tarp.

The other option that occurred to me is a pellet stove. This is not our forever home, it's a starter. We live near a huge military base so maybe the resale on a house with a pellet stove would be better than with a woodstove? Save the real wood for the long term home.

We do have oil, and even though we're tightening the house, the previous owners paid $2000 for the year. My wife is home during the day with the babies, so we'll pay more, even with insulation. I just hate to spend $3K on oil and have nothing to show for it at the end of the season.

If only I hadn't cut down that money tree in the backyard! Thought it would burn well, since money burns so easily.

Sounds like a good plan. FWIW, many stoves installed by hearth members have come from Craigslist. Being patient and know what you want. Determine what's a fair price and how to determine condition ahead of time. Dealer sales often start in February. Good used stove deals can happen at anytime. The recent Kent Tile stove purchase is an example. Don't be afraid to get your stove needs defined now so that you can jump on a good stove when the opportunity presents itself. Good deals often go quickly.

Ent - I totally disagree with you. You didn't decide to not heat with wood. You decided to heat with wood, the right way.

One thing you can check into is manufactured biomass products. These products are made out of recycled scrap from the lumber industry into bricks or logs that are about 2 to 5 pounds each. These are ~not~ the duraflame logs you see in your local walmart or grocery store. It's a solid wood product that is pressed into form by pure pressure with no wax, additives, or binders. Granted, they're more expensive than green wood you season your self, and are generally "on-par" with the cost of "seasoned" cordwood or pellets. Certainly cheaper than oil for sure. I'm hoping a few of our northwest members can chime in with a few options available to you locally.

If anyone has any info on where to get the giant biomass logs I'm all ears. I called a couple of places; no one has them. I'm in Tacoma.

We are in the home port for these products. HomeFires are made up in Ferndale, WA, Northern Idaho logs are made in Sandpoint, ID and sold by Thomas (SuperCedar) in the Seattle area. The lower density compressed logs are not really worth looking at. I would also check to see if Dels is selling them.

PS: If you have a 1 ton+ truck, you can get rejects from the factory at a decent savings.

great idea. I did the same thing last year. I have wood heat in the barn and have burned several pallets for heat out there. Late last fall it was decided that we were going to buy a stove and have it installed by this fall. I grabbed any downed tree I could find. Spent the rest of the winter cutting, splitting and stacking wood. We purchased a stove in May and installed it in Oct. By the time we had the stove installed I had 4 cords +- of seasoned wood. We have enjoyed the stove thus far. I am now sitting on 14+ cords of wood.

I think your decision is a smart one, I respect that.

Jeff

Entburner said:

The main problem is that I can't afford to buy a stove, and then not have any seasoned wood available to burn. I could either have an empty stove or worse, a dangerous wet fire. As many have pointed out, Craigslist is a gamble.

So this year, insulate, seal, tighten. Build a woodshed. Buy a saw, cut some logs and split them. Put it all away till next year. The, over the summer, buy a leftover stove when the prices are (hopefully) low. By then we'll be ready to burn.

So thanks for the help. We're going to take it slow and do it right. In the meantime, I'll put on the raingear and chop chop chop.

Wait...that's not fair, wing it like the rest of us...then tell your stories on Hearth.com.
Good Luck!

Well........ If you really want the stove this year (and have the $$ for it now) take advantage of that tax credit before the end of the year. As for wood, there's a few (!) people here near your area - why don't you try to work up a trade for any green wood you can get and swap with a wood burner who is a few years ahead? You could, say, offer 2 cords green for 1 or 1-1/2 seasoned firewood...... Just a thought.......

Stay warm either way!

Shari

Entburner said:

Wish I was as wise as you. ( love burning though, you will too, without a doubt )

Status
Not open for further replies.