hearth construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadgh

Jan 11, 2015
New Jersey
Hi All
I just purchased a jotul oslo 500. I am constructing my hearth and wanted opinions. I was going to use micore 300 ,then a layer of 1/2 inch durock on top of the durock is going 1.5 inch blue stone. This is all going going directly on top of my sub-floor. Should I add anything else? Sheet Metal, more durock etc? What should I use to attach the blue stone to the durock? What should I use for grout?Your thoughts are greatly welcome. I want to be safe!
Thanks in advance
Tadgh

The micore is unnecessary for this stove, it would be overkill, but that's ok if you want to make it ready for a stove with higher requirements. Be sure the hearth extends at least 18" in front of both the front and side doors. I would put a sheet of 3/4" plywood down first for stiffness.

The micore is unnecessary for this stove, it would be overkill, but that's ok if you want to make it ready for a stove with higher requirements. Be sure the hearth extends at least 18" in front of both the front and side doors. I would put a sheet of 3/4" plywood down first for stiffness.

Thanks for the feed back. My sub-floor is 3/4 plywood. Do you think I need more? Do you know what the heat shield on the bottom of this stove looks like is it visible? My hearth pad will be 66 wide and 56 inches deep so I can center the stove side to side and have the clearance in front as well
Thanks again!

Yes, you don't want any flexing or the grout will crack. The bottom heat shield should be almost invisible unless you know what you are looking for.

Yes, you don't want any flexing or the grout will crack. The bottom heat shield should be almost invisible unless you know what you are looking for.

Any Ideas for what to use to attach the blue stone to the durock? I don't want there to be and off gasses

Last edited:
As mentioned . . . just the Durock and blue stone should be fine as all you need is ember protection, but for extra rigidity I would put down a base layer of at least 1/2 inch plywood . . . thicker being even better.

Modified thin set mortar (with polymer added to it by you or in the mix) works pretty well to adhere stone to the Durock.

Biggest two things when building the hearth -- 1) Make sure it meets the clearance requirements for the stove all the way around and 2) Make sure the base is plenty stiff and rigid to avoid any flex.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't even thinking of adding more plywood. But I guess I should to be safe since the blue stone was quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.