Hearth Extension Substarte

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pine138

Dec 6, 2011
Southwestern Maine
I am in the process of replacing my old wood insert with a new one and let me tell you, it has been quite the learning experience! Anyway, one of the things I have learned is that I need to install a hearth extension for my fireplace. My fireplace has a 17" brick hearth that is raised 10 inches above the plywood subfloor. The user manual of the stove I intend to buy indicates a minimum thickness of 0.5 inches and a thermal conductivity K factor of 0.84. If I did my research and math correctly, that translates to a R factor of 0.05 using the formula R = (1/K x 12) x T, where T = thickness in inches. Given that Durock cement board has an R of 0.26 per half inch, I am thinking that I will be OK with a 0.5 inch Durock substrate. Is that correct? Also, is there a special kind of thinset that should be used?

pine138 said:
I am in the process of replacing my old wood insert with a new one and let me tell you, it has been quite the learning experience! Anyway, one of the things I have learned is that I need to install a hearth extension for my fireplace. My fireplace has a 17" brick hearth that is raised 10 inches above the plywood subfloor. The user manual of the stove I intend to buy indicates a minimum thickness of 0.5 inches and a thermal conductivity K factor of 0.84. If I did my research and math correctly, that translates to a R factor of 0.05 using the formula R = (1/K x 12) x T, where T = thickness in inches. Given that Durock cement board has an R of 0.26 per half inch, I am thinking that I will be OK with a 0.5 inch Durock substrate. Is that correct? Also, is there a special kind of thinset that should be used?

Welcome to the forum pine! Durock Nexgen has an R-value of 0.39 per 1/2" the original Durock was 0.26.. I used thinset cement between the floor and the cement board and between all other layers.. Have fun!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.