Hearth extension suggestions - interior design fans welcome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DetroitReds

Nov 16, 2018
Detroit, MI
I plan to keep existing brick hearth in place but need a 16" extension in front (just ember protection). Apparently there's no such product as roman brick veneer, and full size bricks are $3.50/pop! Plus, it'll be a serious production to get them to fit at full height.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tile suggestions that might compliment the existing brick. I'm a little concerned because the hearthstone stove we're installing already has a contrasting color from the soapstone. Basically, I don't want it to get too 'busy'. Brick hearth is 20" x72", and extension is up to the blue tape - about 16" depth, not just a narrow border. I know it would look best if the ember protection in front returns to the wall for a full border around the brick, but I kinda don't want to do that because it involves cutting out more of the existing brick.
IMG_1238.JPGIMG_5652.JPG

What stove is going in?

If there is a little extra height under the lintel for the connector to pass then maybe instead of an extension, do a full hearth pad. This could be glass, or metal, or tile, stone, brick on backerboard.

Natural field stone

I think I would do a new stone /brick/ tile install under the stove over the brick out as far as the side clearance that is needed. Then level the floor up and run the new hearth out into the room in a semicircle. The existing brick floor on the sides could hold your wood hoop, or whatever, on one side and the fireplace tools on the other. You wouldn't have to worry about it matching the existing brick, but it would have to complement it somehow.

What stove is going in?

If there is a little extra height under the lintel for the connector to pass then maybe instead of an extension, do a full hearth pad. This could be glass, or metal, or tile, stone, brick on backerboard.

Stove is Hearthstone Heritage. I would like the idea of a full hearth pad but, as you note, there is very little extra height under the lintel from the rear vent. I also want to keep everything flush with existing floor to minimize toe-stubbing.

An idea is emerging about finding other thin brick that's not a true color match, and painting the wall and existing hearth+new brick a single color to tie it together. This way I could get closer to matching the soapstone. In that case, are there any specific paint products to use/avoid?

The top of the rear-vent on the Heritage is 25 1/8". What is the lintel height? A sheet of metal could be 1/8" thick and painted, stained or powder-coated or left natural.

My install was very similar to yours. I broke out the existing tiles. Cut the hardwood to keep the height above the floor to a minimum. Leveled all of it with floor leveling compound. Installed a single slab of granite on top of the compound while it was still wet. This is the only pic I have with me. The stove site right in front of the opening, almost touching the bricks.
IMG_0472 (002).jpg

I ripped out the existing tiling about two years ago and replaced with the black slate. Of course I screwed up my clearances and needed to extend the non-combustible out about another 4 inches to be up to code. I picked out a few tile samples from wayfair and had my wife chose which one she liked best. I wanted the tile and the wood flooring to be on the same plane as we have a small space and I didn't want to lose more floor space.

I used leveling compound (too much under the slate as I had to make up quite a big difference), and cement board under the tile. This spring I stained the brick black from the traditional red, leavin the mortar as is to add some contrast. I want to add some depth and dimension to the brick. I'll probably come in with a dark graywash over the black to liven it up.
PXL_20200929_212952411.jpg

Got this finished back in October and all is well. I ended up taking out the flooring, then cement board and very expensive roman (thin) brick to match the original brick dimensions. The brick itself ins't expensive, but I had a hard deadline to finish the project before our install and had to pay $$$ for expedited shipping. The inset art tiles are from Motawi (check them out, nice stuff)! Painted and got ready for installers - I had 0% interest in getting on our roof to install the 35' liner. It's ovalized to make it through our flue. More posts coming but so far I quite enjoy our 2020 Hearthstone Heritage. Will post thoughts and a few questions about operation in a separate post.

IMG_6097.JPGIMG_6174.JPG62615789309__329C3D67-DBE3-47CB-9966-D16357C56257.JPG