Hearth first, backing later?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rockfish

Nov 8, 2020
South Alaska
We decided to take the plunge and purchase a gas stove, Jotul GF 500 DV Portland, for our finished basement.

It's wall-to-wall carpet down there and I completely neglected to consider a hearth for our future stove. We plan to have a local mason cut out the carpet and lay-down a stone hearth rather than plopping down a hearth pad.

The problem I'm running into is whether to build a backing (heat shield?) BEFORE our stove is installed or if we can WAIT until a later time to build a backing around a existing vent pipe?.

What has been the best way to go based on your experience?

You don't need a heatshield with this unit.
Installed flat against a wall you only need 1.5" of clearance.

Right. I see that it is not necessary, however we will build a backing because it will look nice. Have you found it is easier to build a stone backing around an existing vent pipe?

If you feel confident that you can disconnect the venting, pull the stove out, apply your finished wall,
re-install the stove & venting safely, go for it.
Otherwise, finish the wall first.