Hearth pad top materials

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditchmonkey

Feb 11, 2015
Oregon
I have a Fireview coming this summer and I'm researching the hearth pad situation. I currently have one of those prefab concrete and flagstone pads that just sits on the floor. This will be both too small and not enough R-value to meet code so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. One option I'm exploring is to make the current pad part of the newer, larger pad by adding a durock layer and putting the old pad on top of it. The question is - what do I use to fill the gaps around the edge of the pad to make up for the new, larger dimension pad.

One option is tile, but I don't think it will look very good contrasting the flagstones of the original pad. I ran across an interesting material called Claylin, which I would absolutely use if I was sure this material would meet code, but I am not sure. For reference: http://claylin.com/

Any other ideas on materials to fill the gaps? Concrete would work but I read that concrete counter tops are 1.5 " thick, and the width of the current hearth pad is just an inch or a bit less. Is 1 inch of concrete thick enough? It wont be holding the weight.

Thanks!

Other than size, are you sure the old pad is insufficient? The Fireview's pad requirement is not too stiff. All it requires is:
1) a layer of 24 gauge galvanized sheetmetal,
2) a 1/2 inch layer of an approved non-combustible insulation board (such as DUROCK cement board or WonderBoard Backer Board),
3) decorative non-combustible material such as tile, slate, stone or brick.

Perhaps consider building a nice surrounding frame the current board and provide the extension needed? It could be in black or a dark stone or tile to provide nice contrast or in a complementary stone color. To do this I would simply lay down a plywood base, a couple layers of durock and the tile or stone topping.

Other than size, are you sure the old pad is insufficient? The Fireview's pad requirement is not too stiff. All it requires is:
1) a layer of 24 gauge galvanized sheetmetal,
2) a 1/2 inch layer of an approved non-combustible insulation board (such as DUROCK cement board or WonderBoard Backer Board),
3) decorative non-combustible material such as tile, slate, stone or brick.

Perhaps consider building a nice surrounding frame the current board and provide the extension needed? It could be in black or a dark stone or tile to provide nice contrast or in a complementary stone color. To do this I would simply lay down a plywood base, a couple layers of durock and the tile or stone topping.

Edit: the old pad doesn't have an insulating layer so the durock layer is going to be needed.

I'm going to call Woodstock. and double check the pad requirements. I was sure I read a specific R value somewhere before but now I can't find it. My initial thought was to add some additional flagstone around the current pad, but after looking around a bit I think I would have trouble finding anything that is a good match. I wonder how Woodstock (and more importantly the inspector) is going to determine "non-combustible material", and whether that Claylin material would qualify?

It's often easier to contrast than to try to match a border. What color is the current stone?

One inch of Durock NexGen will be R=.78. That exceeds the installation manual requirements. Should be fine.

It's often easier to contrast than to try to match a border. What color is the current stone?

One inch of Durock NexGen will be R=.78. That exceeds the installation manual requirements. Should be fine.

Its a very dark flagstone - dark greys. Did you see the R value in the installation manual?

Not in the installation manual that I can see.

Sounds like a black or a pale grey slate tile might work for the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.