• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Welcome! What stove is this for?

I would not use the linked fiberboard from Menards for a hearth, even with metal on top. It's tar coated and not meant for this application.

Screenshot_20220413-185237.jpg

That helps. This stove has a high hearth protection requirement of R=2.0. It would take some micore with cement board or thick metal on top to meet that spec. Here is some info on common hearth materials.

Is the stove used?

The stove is brand new. I have been doing more research since posting. It looks like you and the research are congruent begreen. I'm looking to do micore with cement board and the thin metal piece I already have. This is a carpeted room so I'm guessing I should also get down to the floor before installation correct?

The stove is brand new. I have been doing more research since posting. It looks like you and the research are congruent begreen. I'm looking to do micore with cement board and the thin metal piece I already have. This is a carpeted room so I'm guessing I should also get down to the floor before installation correct?
I asked about the stove's age because that model was not supposed to be sold after May 2020. The new unit that replaced it is the WSL-2200 and in the new manual they have a typo and say the hearth must have an R value of 2". R values are not in inches. Regardless, the stove needs a well-insulated hearth. The carpet should be removed.

In my manual it says a non-combustible material of at least 1 inch and r value of 2. Based on the r value thread it looks like I would need one layer of micore and one of cement board covered with the metal. Does this sound correct or would it be two layers of micore?

In my manual it says a non-combustible material of at least 1 inch and r value of 2. Based on the r value thread it looks like I would need one layer of micore and one of cement board covered with the metal. Does this sound correct or would it be two layers of micore?
The list says micore is 2.3 per inch. So I don't think a layer of it and one of cement board is enough.

It depends on the thickness of the micore sheets. If it is 1" thick then it would be good. Micore is often used as a sound deadener in office cubicle divider panels. That might be a source if there is an office surplus store nearby.

That's 4 boards. Do you still have some for sale?
My application will need 2 layers as well and will use most of the 4sheets. .... I have the same stove.

After seeing what this product is, I got to wondering if there might be an acoustic ceiling tile that meets the same standards @ a cheaper cost.

Thank you for all the responses! I think you're right and doing two layers of the micore makes the most sense because it is 1/2". I have to double check some dimensions before ordering but I believe we have a plan now

My application will need 2 layers as well and will use most of the 4sheets. .... I have the same stove.

After seeing what this product is, I got to wondering if there might be an acoustic ceiling tile that meets the same standards @ a cheaper cost.
Since you have the same stove what is your hearth pad dimensions? I'm having trouble with the 16" clearance in front with mine

Since you have the same stove what is your hearth pad dimensions? I'm having trouble with the 16" clearance in front with mine
I will be doing some carpentry work on the flooring, and subfloor to accommodate the 1" of micore and a layer of 3/4" granite on top while remaining at the same level with the laminated floor in the room.

Post a pic of your hearth area and I am sure you will get an answer.

IMG_20220413_214957.jpgIMG_20220413_214951.jpg
The box is almost the perfect size for the box of the stove. Short by 1 inch in front. This setup is leaving space for the wall stove board with 1" spacers also. The problem is it is just short of the 16" clearance in front by 1" so should I just pull the pad forward that amount and leave an area in the back? I'm at a loss of how to gain that inch.

Is wonderboard the same as cement board? I'm looking for the r value of cement board and it's not in that table listed before

Is wonderboard the same as cement board? I'm looking for the r value of cement board and it's not in that table listed before
Yes wonder board is a cement board tile backer. The r value would be similar to durock .
Durock & Wonderboard have an R value of .52 /inch.

It will take some customizing but If you space out the wall shield another inch that moves everything forward and gets you your missing inch up front.

Depending where one is in the country, there may be two types of these products sold and it comes in varying thicknesses which change the R value. The lighter 1/2" Durock NexGen (has the pumice pellets in it) is R=.52, but the original heavier 1/2" Durock cement board is R = .26. Wonderboard Lite is also higher R value, but it comes in 7/16" sheets and it contains styrofoam beads. Do not use this product. The heavier regular Wonderboard is cement board and ok if you can find it. This has an R value of .26/ .5".