Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BSlepicka

Dec 22, 2022
Manitoba
Hi Folks,

I've been running a Drolet HT3000 in my basement for a number of years now with it sitting on concrete floor. However, I am going to be installing flooring throughout the basement and will need to create some type of non-compossible surface for it to sit on.

My goal is to have it sit flush with the new flooring that I will be installing - which is 4.5 mm thick. This is because it is near a walkway and I don't want to have people tripping on it.

According to the manual, the floor protection is only required to protect the floor from falling embers. The area is 44"x52".

Any ideas on what I could do, other than haul in a big piece of steel plate?

Thank you in advance!

received_702409391455860.jpeg

I'm not sure id call .015" of steel a plate any more than I'd call a piece of paper a log.
When I said " a big piece of steel plate" I meant steel plate the same thickness as the flooring (4.5 mm or ~ 3/16") that the stove would sit on and the flooring would butt up to - flush. That wasn't clear in my original post.

Why not lay a piece of sheet metal over the flooring. Its not flush, but only .015" over the level of the floor. That's .381mm. It's not likely that you're going to find something that close to flush other than sheet metal.

@BSlepicka I am curious what you decided to do here? I am about to install a Drolet Deco II that also doesn't require any R value, only ember protection. We had been suggested to get a "traditional" insulated+tile hearth from Hearth Classics, but the layout isn't perfect in our room so it is high likelihood I'd break my town on the side of it one night...so I too am looking at sheet metal options, curious what you had found. Hearth Classics does offer some metal options, I just need to find a dealer for them. The more traditional insulated tile hearths are easy to find as Coastal carries them locally. Just curious if you settled on one.

@BSlepicka I am curious what you decided to do here? I am about to install a Drolet Deco II that also doesn't require any R value, only ember protection. We had been suggested to get a "traditional" insulated+tile hearth from Hearth Classics, but the layout isn't perfect in our room so it is high likelihood I'd break my town on the side of it one night...so I too am looking at sheet metal options, curious what you had found. Hearth Classics does offer some metal options, I just need to find a dealer for them. The more traditional insulated tile hearths are easy to find as Coastal carries them locally. Just curious if you settled on one.
A local metal shop could cut this up out of 20 ga steel. It should be at least 40" wide and 42" deep. Paint it with good metal paint or buy one premade by Drolet-

A local metal shop could cut this up out of 20 ga steel. It should be at least 40" wide and 42" deep. Paint it with good metal paint or buy one premade by Drolet-
I had thought about it, but I decided to just order one a 16 gauge one online, I decided it would just be easier than trying to source it locally and getting it painted...not sure I could have DIYd it for much less than the ~$170. Will try to remember to share photos of it installed, my stove got delivered today.

Reactions: begreen