Hearth risers or hearth stand for pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JordanFrame

Oct 19, 2017
South Salem, NY
Hi, I have a zero clearance Firebox that I would like to do a pellet insert for. One issue I'm running into is that the floor of the firebox is about 3 or 4 inches higher than the hearth. One thing I have considered is getting a hearth riser, but I'm not sure exactly how they fit or how they work. Is it possible to get one that is generic, that will accommodate any insert that fits on top of it? Or can I only use the one that's made for the particular stove? I'm interested in the Harman Accentra 52i insert, but I'm not seeing any hearth riser accessory. If you have one, a pic would be great. Thanks so much for your help!

Not clear on what you are asking. A riser for the zero clearance box?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...lace-of-wood-stove.131085/page-2#post-1821298

Hearth being either the floor of the fireplace or the area in front so do you need to raise the area in front? Just build a box and top with slate box or something like mine.

Thanks for the response. I was referring to a riser for the area in front of the Firebox, as the floor of the insert is about 4 inches higher. I had been told by a pellet dealer, Quadra-Fire, that they actually have a adjustable box made of metal painted black Etc that can be used to raise up the hearth. If it's reasonably priced enough, and easily adjustable, it would be worth just buying something like that rather than building a box which I'm concerned may not look all that great, especially in the front where it's completely visible. I like your idea of covering the box in slate. Just curious about where one would go to get pieces that size, or do you just buy larger pieces and cut them with a masonry wheel on a cut-off saw?

If you look thru my post you can see there is a large rectangle of slate that is ~2.5 inches thick that is likely ontop of a wood box frame that has thin slate tiles around bottom to cover box. It was here when I bought the house but I assume it could be made. I do not think an adjustable metal box would look good.

IDK where you buy the stone but assume rock supplier nearby would be best bet.