Hearth stone bennington + alcove = questions, help appreciated.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fire ring

Nov 10, 2015
Greenwood Delaware
I purchased a used in good condition bennington,beautiful stove. I have little experience beyond steel woodstove in garages. Either way, I'm looking to install this in the living room of my 2000sqft rancher.
I've studied this for months and the best solution is to build a addition or alcove off the gable end. The way the room is laid out this makes the most sense to me. I figure I can pour a pad, insulate underneath it use metal studs and a fireproof sheathing tiles ect. Inside. What backer board should be used in this setting?
Clearances for alcove in the manual are 48 inch max depth 24 min height 16 on sides. Thats with nfpa 211
I don't understand this. I can't find a list of materials that meets this qualification? When I Google it appears your buying an inspection.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm going to attempt to post a pic of the spec page of manual

I purchased a used in good condition bennington,beautiful stove. I have little experience beyond steel woodstove in garages. Either way, I'm looking to install this in the living room of my 2000sqft rancher.
I've studied this for months and the best solution is to build a addition or alcove off the gable end. The way the room is laid out this makes the most sense to me. I figure I can pour a pad, insulate underneath it use metal studs and a fireproof sheathing tiles ect. Inside. What backer board should be used in this setting?
Clearances for alcove in the manual are 48 inch max depth 24 min height 16 on sides. Thats with nfpa 211
I don't understand this. I can't find a list of materials that meets this qualification? When I Google it appears your buying an inspection.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm going to attempt to post a pic of the spec page of manual

Screenshot_20181004-184953_Write on PDF.jpg

If the alcove is entirely non-combustible in construction then the clearances are not an issue. The clearances listed are to combustible surfaces. If you want to build the alcove conventionally with wood then you can put an NFPA 211 wall shielding on the back and side walls to reach that clearance. This article is about wall clearances.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/

Most commonly used is Durock cement board.