hearth stone I ??????? Any body else have or know bout them

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joat717

Oct 30, 2009
Northern Indiana
Any body else out there have or had a hearth stine I. I am currently burning one that was in a house that i bought almost two years ago and am loving it to death. BUT...... don't really have much to compare it to i am 25 years old and don't have a lot of experience with wood heat outside of the past winter and the current one. a few friends parents growin up heated with wood as i was growing up. I was around it just enough to decide it was something that i wanted to do but don't know as much as i'd like to about it. I feel like there has been a lot of talk on here about the newer stoves being much better and would just like to know where mine "Ranks" i guess. would it REALLY be worth upgrading to a newer model??? I just love this stove but as said don't know much about it. th only thing i could ask for is to burn less wood but thuis is not a major issue because i have plenty available i just have to cut and split it all. Just lookin for advice stove wise. I have all the original paper work from the original owner and from what i can tell this thing is top of the line for it's time. Any opinions comments od suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks fellas.

From what I have heard/read the Hearthstone I chews through wood pretty quickly (which you mentioned). Apart from that I haven't hear much in the way of negativity.

They only way I can compare it is that I have an old Vigilant that chews through wood. Fantastic heat producer, but, not as efficient as a newer stove. My wife's parents owns a newer Hearthstone Heritage which puts out about the same amount of heat as the Vigilant and I have noticed the difference in wood consumption when I am over their house.

I also own a newer Intrepid and apart from it being much smaller I have noticed the difference in the way it consumes wood in comparison to the older Vigilant and it also produces a lot less smoke.

A newer stove, if run properly, will produce less smoke and less creosote.

I ran into the Hearthstone I just once and it threw off heat like no other stove I've come in contact since.Ive had several more modern stoves two Woodstocks one which I sent back and one which I'll probably sell, not enough heat.I've had the Hearthstone II wood/coal burner a good heater and the Hearthstone Mansfield and Blaze King all good heaters though can't match the Heat of the Hearthstone I.As I look back the stove didn't eat a lot of wood.It took a lot of wood.I think the pipe damper along with the stove's damper allowed that wood to burn for a long time.It was so warm in the lodge we went outside in sub zero weather just to cool off.My cousin who owned the property which was up for sale told me I could have the stove.I would have taken it if I could have moved it.I settled for his Hearthstone II instead.It makes me think at times that some of the old stoves were better heaters than the best stoves they have on the market today.From my experience the Hearthstone I surly is.

I recenty salvaged a H1 off Craigslist & re-built it. I have in a 30x36 uninsulated steel shop & yes I love the heat it puts out. I have no experience with the newer stoves, so I can't compare it's wood consumption. Over the last cold spell(didn't get above freezing for almost two weeks, nightime temps around 11) burning 24/7 it consumed approx one cord.
Some here don't think the older stoves are worth much.... I disagree. Yes, they may smoke a little because they have fewer secondary burn tubes, but this also allows them to burn less than perfecty seasoned firewood. Any stove rated to put out 100,000 btu can't be all bad.

RD

Oh, I see you split by hand. Try a Fiskars Super Splitter axe....the thing is amazing. You can't blow thru the centers of the rounds with it(like with those mauls), but work your way around the edges. It's very sharp and you end up using 1/2 the energy to do the same job a maul will do. I do enjoy mine.

joat717 said:
Any body else out there have or had a hearth stine I. I am currently burning one that was in a house that i bought almost two years ago and am loving it to death. BUT...... don't really have much to compare it to i am 25 years old and don't have a lot of experience with wood heat outside of the past winter and the current one. a few friends parents growin up heated with wood as i was growing up. I was around it just enough to decide it was something that i wanted to do but don't know as much as i'd like to about it. I feel like there has been a lot of talk on here about the newer stoves being much better and would just like to know where mine "Ranks" i guess. would it REALLY be worth upgrading to a newer model??? I just love this stove but as said don't know much about it. th only thing i could ask for is to burn less wood but thuis is not a major issue because i have plenty available i just have to cut and split it all. Just lookin for advice stove wise. I have all the original paper work from the original owner and from what i can tell this thing is top of the line for it's time. Any opinions comments od suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks fellas.

"I'm new to the wood heating world also. But if there's one thing I've learned is that you have to go with what makes you happy. If your stove makes you happy I'd stick with it. The newer stoves are not necessarily better, at least not in all aspects. "

Status
Not open for further replies.