Hearthston Castleton Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is 6" non insulated single wall. Every place I called said it was not necessary in our area to do insulated

In Connecticut? That is surprising. I would think insulated would perform much better, but I understand the difference in price may be worth trying it without...

In any case, that's a gorgeous hearth there. Do you think you'll be able to keep the furnace from coming on during your coldest weather there?

it was below zero last two or three days and it has yet to kick on. Like I said, we do like the house a bit cooler than most people. It is 68 inside right now and pretty damn cold outside

Reactions: ailanthus
it was below zero last two or three days and it has yet to kick on. Like I said, we do like the house a bit cooler than most people. It is 68 inside right now and pretty damn cold outside

Sounds like you nailed the stove size. Enjoy!!

I moved the temp mag. the mag is now sitting on top of the pipe 6" from the back of the stove... Both the stove and the pipe are sitting at 350. What pipe temp should I be looking for at that distance?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 118
Here is what the fire looks like. (not that you can tell anything from the way a fire looks) but its not a lazy smoldering burn producing these low temps on the pipe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 121
I moved the temp mag. the mag is now sitting on top of the pipe 6" from the back of the stove... Both the stove and the pipe are sitting at 350. What pipe temp should I be looking for at that distance?
I'm not sure how much hotter the flue gases are on the interior of the pipe. These thermometers are really meant for reading on a vertical flue surface. For a vertical pipe the multiplier is about 1.5 times the surface temp. But even if it is 1.25 in your case I feel better about your flue temps. Check it out in a month or so, or after the first cord has been burned. You might be fine. The burn looks great.

thanks for the advice. I may end up just changing out the liner in the spring. As long as its not too much of a pain to get an insulated liner in from the bottom. I dont want to mess with trying to drop in down from the outside seeing the chimney is so high.

Do you know large the clay tile is in this chimney?

12x12 off set about 8". I for sure would need to cut the damper frame out. the current liner is ovaled a bit to sneek past.

Sounds like there's enough wiggle room. How tall?

its between 22-25' from the top to the stove. The problem is that it is a extra wide cape with a 12/12 pitch roof. The chimney is close to the front of the house so there is nothing to stand on at all. My 34' ladder barely reaches the top of the chimney. I hate going up that high to clean never mind to install something that big. So, going up through the bottom would be preferable.

Understood. I don't blame you a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.