Hearthstone Bennington, pleasantly surprised !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bushman

Burning Hunk
Dec 28, 2014
Northern Michigan
The Hearthstone Bennington non catalytic wood stove has been on my list for some time to own someday. About 10 years ago there was a small Stove shop in Boyne City,MI called Reh Acres, they sold Hearthstone,Morso,Buck and Pacific Energy. They had a good selection of higher end models and I would go there and just rub my hands checking out all the neat stoves. The Bennington always caught my eye and the shop owner actually down played the stove for some reason and suggested others in stock.

A couple weeks ago I seized the opportunity and bought a used Hearthstone Bennington and had some repairs and corrections to complete before deciding what to do with it. The stove is a Blue/Black porcelain enamel which is almost flawless, hope I can keep it that way. The secondary baffle was broke in half and some stainless steel came in handy to patch the broken baffle. New gaskets on the doors were installed with black hi temp silicone. The door latches were at some time were 1/2 way replaced with upgrade kits but, only some of the parts were used so I had to buy a couple parts to get the doors working right. The side load door in particular was not operating smoothly so I tried some hi temp bearing grease and so far it's working well, this is an exterior latch mechanism and is not exposed to flames.

So far I am pleasantly surprised and can say after running numerous other stoves that the Bennington is a winner! Thus far the Bennington has put more heat and longer burn times than the other stoves I have owned and operated. Hergom of Spain makes the Hearthstone line of stoves, castings anyways and the Bennington is still available in Europe and elsewhere marked along with the Manchester. The Manchester looks to me as a single front door Bennington with improved door latches and looks the same inside. Hearthstone catches more guff than they deserve in my opinion, I have worked on a lot of different brands and Hearthstone seems to be as well put together as any high end stove.

I get it about the door latches and there must have been issues due to the upgrade kits available but, asides from that Hearthstone stoves are rugged and beautiful from what I observe.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 333
Beautiful stove. I love my Phoenix. I've heard complaints about Hearthstone because of hinges and handles, but I've never had any issues with mine.

My local sweep works out of a shop that is a dealer, but not for Hearthstone. Every year when he visits me, he remarks how nice of a stove the Phoenix really is.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

The enamel is a nice looking finish but I just couldn't bring myself to pay the 300 for it! Any chance you have some pics of the repair you did?

The Hearthstone Bennington non catalytic wood stove has been on my list for some time to own someday. About 10 years ago there was a small Stove shop in Boyne City,MI called Reh Acres, they sold Hearthstone,Morso,Buck and Pacific Energy. They had a good selection of higher end models and I would go there and just rub my hands checking out all the neat stoves. The Bennington always caught my eye and the shop owner actually down played the stove for some reason and suggested others in stock.

A couple weeks ago I seized the opportunity and bought a used Hearthstone Bennington and had some repairs and corrections to complete before deciding what to do with it. The stove is a Blue/Black porcelain enamel which is almost flawless, hope I can keep it that way. The secondary baffle was broke in half and some stainless steel came in handy to patch the broken baffle. New gaskets on the doors were installed with black hi temp silicone. The door latches were at some time were 1/2 way replaced with upgrade kits but, only some of the parts were used so I had to buy a couple parts to get the doors working right. The side load door in particular was not operating smoothly so I tried some hi temp bearing grease and so far it's working well, this is an exterior latch mechanism and is not exposed to flames.

So far I am pleasantly surprised and can say after running numerous other stoves that the Bennington is a winner! Thus far the Bennington has put more heat and longer burn times than the other stoves I have owned and operated. Hergom of Spain makes the Hearthstone line of stoves, castings anyways and the Bennington is still available in Europe and elsewhere marked along with the Manchester. The Manchester looks to me as a single front door Bennington with improved door latches and looks the same inside. Hearthstone catches more guff than they deserve in my opinion, I have worked on a lot of different brands and Hearthstone seems to be as well put together as any high end stove.

I get it about the door latches and there must have been issues due to the upgrade kits available but, asides from that Hearthstone stoves are rugged and beautiful from what I observe.
Glad she is working out for you. Very pretty stove.

Let me know your thoughts on this compared to the IR that you previously had in this location. We just purchased a leftover IR and I'm curious to hear your feedback as to why you got rid of it for this Bennington. We previously had a Manchester for a while before having to move from that house. In the very short use of it, I liked it, but the firebox was very shallow.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Well diesel59, I liked the Isle Royale very well and it was a good stove that did its job. The reason I changed it out is the top loading feature, it never bothered me but, my wife and kids would always object to any smokecoming out of it. The Bennington side door does not produce the same objections so, it works better for me.

When you mentioned that the Manchester had a shallow firebox, that struck me funny cause one thing I noticed with the Bennington is that in my opinion it has a deeper firebox than the Isle Royale. The Bennington does it have any bricks on the firebox bottom, just sides. May be different.