Hearthstone Clydesdale Insert 8492 Open port

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

codi

Dec 27, 2022
Rhode Island
Hi there, new Hearthstone Clydesdale user here!

Had some issues last night with the stove running away more than expected and might need a replacement gasket but tightened up the door handle spring and we're doing better on the "dollar bill test." We noticed tonight though, that there's an open threaded port under the grill to the right, if looking at the stove. You can see flames through it. Is this a normal air inlet or should this be plugged? Tested it out with a bolt we have at home and it's a 5/16-18 which is the same as the set screws. I believe the draft port plug is in the center and plugged, as it should be, and is NOT this hole? I cannot find a part on the exploded view or any arrows pointing to it, although it's drawn in.

Thank you for any help!! Edited for more info.

Last edited:
I have the same insert. It was installed mid- November. I am having a couple of other issues with insert, but not the one you describe above. You should not see a flame where you are seeing it.

My catalyst bypass knob sticks from time to time and my temperature probe is no longer working. I am not new to wood stoves. I had a Hearthstone Morgan non-cat (smaller version of Clydesdale) and a Jotul. I never had a problem with either stove. It’s pretty discouraging to have two issues already with the Clydesdale.

I have the same insert. It was installed mid- November. I am having a couple of other issues with insert, but not the one you describe above. You should not see a flame where you are seeing it.

My catalyst bypass knob sticks from time to time and my temperature probe is no longer working. I am not new to wood stoves. I had a Hearthstone Morgan non-cat (smaller version of Clydesdale) and a Jotul. I never had a problem with either stove. It’s pretty discouraging to have two issues already with the Clydesdale.
Thank you for checking yours. Yeah, we are feeling some buyers remorse as our Jotul and Morsø are both flawless and this seems to have some issues - both in QC and design. Hoping once we get the issues resolved and learn the quirks we are more pleased with the purchase.

Thank you for checking yours. Yeah, we are feeling some buyers remorse as our Jotul and Morsø are both flawless and this seems to have some issues - both in QC and design. Hoping once we get the issues resolved and learn the quirks we are more pleased with the purchase.
I emailed Hearthstone this morning with my issues. I want to make sure everything is covered under the warranty. I need to follow-up with the dealer. Good luck getting your issues resolved. Overall, I do like the insert, but need the issues related to the catalyst resolved.

Our installer spent quite a bit of time sanding each of the interfaces/joints of the connecting arms of the catalyst bypass mechanism. They were aware of this design weakness with the Clydesdale and mentioned that if I have any problems to give them a call and they will make sure it works properly. So far so good. Overall I'm loving this design.

Hi there, new Hearthstone Clydesdale user here!

Had some issues last night with the stove running away more than expected and might need a replacement gasket but tightened up the door handle spring and we're doing better on the "dollar bill test." We noticed tonight though, that there's an open threaded port under the grill to the right, if looking at the stove. You can see flames through it. Is this a normal air inlet or should this be plugged? Tested it out with a bolt we have at home and it's a 5/16-18 which is the same as the set screws. I believe the draft port plug is in the center and plugged, as it should be, and is NOT this hole? I cannot find a part on the exploded view or any arrows pointing to it, although it's drawn in.

Thank you for any help!! Edited for more info.
I had a Clydesdale installed this fall and had the same issue with an open port under the grill. After contacting the dealer, they contacted Hearthstone who sent a set screw to plug the hole.

Our catalyst bypass also sticks from time to time. If the stove gets hot with the bypass open, we are unable to close the bypass. The issue seems to be that there is not enough clearance between the bypass damper and the flue collar lock bolts. So, when everything expands just a little, the damper cannot make it past the bolts.

Reactions: MJSullivan56