Hearthstone Clydesdale Overfire? Issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newenglandstove

Dec 16, 2022
Massachusetts
Hey all - another question for this group. Have a cat stove. Typically runs at the upper end of the active range/sometimes dips into the too hot range of the cat Thermometer (it's a newer stove, stove top temps are usually upper 300s - 450 so think the "too hot" is just a hyperactive cat).

I accidentally got the stove up to ~615 yesterday for about 10 mins (maybe less, but saying 10 to be conservative). I woke up this morning and relit and am seeing some white puffs of smoke (or steam?) from the chimney. It's thin enough that it's difficult to see and almost immediately drops towards the roof rather than rising. Dissipates after 8 or so feet at the most. I have a cap so I am thinking it's steam from water hitting the hot cap, but I have no clue... Cat is in active range and secondaries are going. About 33 degrees out with some light rain/fog.

Is this normal or did I screw something up with how hot the stove top got yesterday? I'm worried I overfired. It's a hearthstone Clydesdale - manual states to not routinely operate over 600 degrees. Yesterday was the first time I even went over 550, but I crossed that 600 threshold for a short period of time and am now nervous as all heck that I broke something.

I also am noticing a slight odor when I open the stove. Not when it's closed and burning. I've heard it can do that when it's raining out. Just being nervous/observant after the perceived overfire yesterday... Is the odor a concern or does that sound normal? It's slight metallic. Different from the pain curing smell

If it is white and dissipates quickly, then it is steam. Whether it goes up or down is more a matter of atmospherics.

615ºF doesn't sound like an overfire. Where and how is the insert temperature being measured?

If it is white and dissipates quickly, then it is steam. Whether it goes up or down is more a matter of atmospherics.

615ºF doesn't sound like an overfire. Where and how is the insert temperature being measured?
I have it up above the grill. Magnetic from condar. Also measuring with an IR thermometer between the grill grates down to the stove body which is where I got the 615 temp.
PXL_20230103_152426204.jpg

Reactions: begreen
I have it up above the grill. Magnetic from condar. Also measuring with an IR thermometer between the grill grates down to the stove body which is where I got the 615 temp.
View attachment 306815
It sounds like you and the stove are doing ok. We all space out turning down the air soon enough once in a while. A timer is helpful as a reminder. The cat will settle down and be less hyperactive in the next few weeks too. Enjoy the warmth!