Hearthstone Clydesdale top grill - looks like edges were filed after coating applied

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spooky

Dec 1, 2022
MD
I'd really appreciate if another Clydesdale 8492 owner could tell me if this is the same as yours or a QC issue from Hearthstone.

Recently installed a Clydesdale and posted a review thread, but figured this question might be worth asking separately for posterity. The top grill looks like it was cast and, as you might expect, the edges from the casting process have been ground or filed down for a clean look. The thing that is weird here is that it seems to have been done after the part was coated. Everywhere else on the stove that I can see this was done it was done before coating. The result is that where the filing was done I can see shiny filed metal vs the black coating that is everywhere else. It's almost like someone noticed on the assembly line at Hearthstone that the part needed some extra grinding and did it but didn't bother to send it back to be recoated/touched up.

I asked the dealer about it, and they offered to send me some touch up paint but didn't answer my question about whether this is "normal". I'm curious from anyone else who has a (preferably recent / 8492) Clydesdale whether yours is this way or not. If mine is an outlier or a QC issue from Hearthstone, I want to push back on the dealer and get them to replace the grill with one that is done right. I bought the stove from a listed Hearthstone dealer, but it is 100 miles away so I can't just grab the grill and pop over there. I certainly don't want to look at rust stains in the future or have issues with the original coating peeling off at raw edges. This clearly isn't something that could happen in shipping or during install, because these edges are inside the slots of the grill and totally protected.

You can see the issue in the picture below:
IMG_2008.JPG

A little spray paint and you are done.
Practically speaking I totally agree, and better yet if they send me some touch up paint that is "just right" and stands up to the heat over time. Right now it is pretty subtle unless the light/angle is just right and then you'd be like "why is that metal shiny". Over time I am sure it will eventually rust and look bad if not fixed correctly now.

Still, I spent $5k on a stove I think it should be right from the factory. For all I know they are all this way (but I doubt it). Whether/how Hearthstone (or their dealer) handles it might come up every time someone comments on the handsome stove over the next 20 years.

Appreciate the confirmation. The dealer is shipping me the touch up paint but agreed via email to help me address it with Hearthstone if it doesn’t look right with the touch up. Going to take really good before and after photos and see how it goes.