Hearthstone gm 80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jones93

Nov 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Alright first I don’t want this to be another “I hate the green mountain “” thread because I really like this stove, anyway normally when we load we’re down to coals but the cat is still active so fast forward to last night it’s 0 outside running hard all day but my wife said by 6 pm when she shut the bypass it snuffed the flames and slowly took back off 9 pm does the same but worse check it 11 put another piece in shut bypass completely snuffs flames ended up leaving the bypass open all night.
This morning pulled stove pipe off cats look just fine so that’s not it. I loaded it and of course still snuffed the flames but then it slowly picked up wife called me hour after I left and said it was going good. What gives? I’m new to a cat stove so maybe it’s just the way it is. I find it hard to believe it’s draw, because it rips hard with the bypass open and doesn’t puff when you open. The door, wood is under 18% and to be sure I burned a load of cherry last night which is under 15%

Last edited:
when you say you pulled the stove pipe and the cats look good, what did you look at? Often the front face of the cats will get some fly ash on them. It's possible with a hot fire and some good draft, later in the second night that fly ash cooked off or sucked through and then it started running better.
If it happens again let the stove cool, remove the baffles in the top of the fire box and shine a light up onto the front faces of the cats. If they have ash clumped on them that is the problem.

Yep I did some more research and that’s our plan we have a break from the -0 temps tomorrow afternoon so if today it starts running poorly we’ll let it burn down tomorrow morning and do a full clean and inspection. Lots to Learn with a cat stove. I just got a little panicked knew I had good draft because it’d run perfect in bypass, knew the cats had good temp because the price was at 50-60% in bypass.
To answer your question I looked at the top I did not look at the bottom stupid I Know now that there plugging underneath not stuff falling on top..
also is it possible now that it’s running good to burn out whatever is plugging them or is cleaning the only true way?

I've been burning some ugly pieces that are less than ideal moisture wise and have noticed it snuffs out easier when I latch the door/ close by pass. Also, if I don't leave a channel in front of the coals after raking them it can cause problems.

Not a GM owner, but hearthstone shelburne.

Last edited:
When the flames "snuff out" is the cat thermometer still in the active zone? If yes, does it stay there?

When the flames "snuff out" is the cat thermometer still in the active zone? If yes, does it stay there?
yes still active but no it slowly falls. We just got it cooled down cats are plugged with fly ash. Just a learning process I guess. Wife said she messed up awhile back and didn’t open the bypass when she scooped ash so I’m sure that didn’t help.

Cleaned and up and running again
51885080-28DD-4861-81E2-8E7617878B4A.jpeg 7778765F-685A-48A5-BC19-30F55B77E8C3.jpeg

Reactions: begreen
We bought and installed a new Green Mountain 60 soapstone with cat about 4 months ago. Been running fires for 2 months now and decided to return the stove for a refund. Way too many issues for me to deal with and super disappointed in this thing. Smoke blow back, hard to stay lit, VERY LITTLE HEAT, no radiant heat, lots of ash coming out the front, small fire box and low height inside. I am going back to an older used stove without a cat convertor. Trying to find a Jotul or other decent heat monster.

Yep I did some more research and that’s our plan we have a break from the -0 temps tomorrow afternoon so if today it starts running poorly we’ll let it burn down tomorrow morning and do a full clean and inspection. Lots to Learn with a cat stove. I just got a little panicked knew I had good draft because it’d run perfect in bypass, knew the cats had good temp because the price was at 50-60% in bypass.
To answer your question I looked at the top I did not look at the bottom stupid I Know now that there plugging underneath not stuff falling on top..
also is it possible now that it’s running good to burn out whatever is plugging them or is cleaning the only true way?
The manual says to leave the air open fully for 20 mins after you engage the cat but in my experience im not so sure that does it. Check my latest post if you havent already.