Hearthstone Heritage Air Intake Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

5buford

Nov 26, 2005
Purchased this stove in the Fall of last year and have been generally quite satisfied. That is, until about four days ago I noted that I was having trouble keeping a fire going as it was acting like it was smothering. Would be okay if I left the door cracked but as soon as I closed it down it would die way down. Air intake lever was wide open during this entire period but it just kept acting like it wasn"t getting enough air and this was a new issue. THEN, I tried to move the air intake lever back to the closed position and it felt very different. No resistance at all, like the mechanism was not connected. I looked underneath the stove, and this mechanism is enclosed in a metal box which can possibly be removed by removing some screws. Unable to find a diagram of this area of the stove. Anybody else ever run into this issue? Thanks for any advice.

If you're feeling adventurous you could open up the box.
Another way to verify might be to look through the slot the lever inhabits and see if you can see any coupling or mechanism (and failure thereof).
These mechanisms are usually very basic so it shouldn't be too difficult to identify and correct and issues.

If you're feeling adventurous you could open up the box.
Another way to verify might be to look through the slot the lever inhabits and see if you can see any coupling or mechanism (and failure thereof).
These mechanisms are usually very basic so it shouldn't be too difficult to identify and correct and issues.
Actually, it doesn"t look like I have a great deal of options at this point. The seller informed me that this probably would not be a Warranty issue and he has never seen this problem before so couldn't offer any suggestions. He did offer to try to contact Hearthstone cause he "knows a guy".
I peeked into the air intake pipe and can see an offset piece of metal that moves with the air intake adjustment lever and there is nothing connected to it. I started taking out the screws to the metal plates covering the bottom housing but not the greatest working conditions. Very tight, uncomfortable and hard to see. Well, I was just hoping maybe someone had wandered into this land of mystery before me, or had a diagram.

Normally this would be a dealer call. I am not confident with the responses. He should have a direct line to Hearthstone tech, not "know a guy". And just because he has not seen something before doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. These stoves were put together by humans and sometimes people make mistakes. I don't like him acting like he is doing you a favor. You bought a new stove from him and if the air control linkage has uncoupled, it definitely is a warranty issue.

If you take it apart, here is a close-up of the parts. According to the parts diagram, the Heritage air control lever #49, has a pin on the inner end that sits in a hole on the air control slider valve #50. There is another piece which is the slider retainer #46. Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 9.50.31 AM.png

Last edited:
Normally this would be a dealer call. I am not confident with the responses. He should have a direct line to Hearthstone tech, not "know a guy". And just because he has not seen something before doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. These stoves were put together by humans and sometimes people make mistakes. I don't like him acting like he is doing you a favor. You bought a new stove from him and if the air control linkage has uncoupled, it definitely is a warranty issue.

If you take it apart, here is a close-up of the parts. According to the parts diagram, the Heritage air control lever #49, has a pin on the inner end that sits in a hole on the air control slider valve #50. There is another piece which is the slider retainer #46. Hope this helps.

View attachment 310463
Thank you very much begreen, appreciate the diagram. I received a callback from the dealer yesterday and he did speak with Hearthstone. Discovered that it is an issue and they have a "kit" to fix it and it will be under warranty. Maybe the dealer was having a bad day the first time we spoke. So...I got a little brave before I received his call and removed the bottom plate and accessed the area behind the air control lever. As in the diagram, very simple mechanics, and found that the pin that fits into the slider valve had sheared off, (see picture). Now, I will just wait for the dealer to get the parts kit and hopefully I will be back in business.

stove3.jpg

Reactions: begreen
Great. It's a simple mechanism. You should be back in business still, though I still think the dealer should be the one fixing this warranty issue.

Great. It's a simple mechanism. You should be back in business still, though I still think the dealer should be the one fixing this warranty issue.
For future reference to help anyone else who may have this problem:

Attachments

• Stove Data Sheet.pdf
    313.4 KB · Views: 166