Hearthstone II mystery part?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theonlytwin

Nov 10, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey everyone, I just bought a Heathstone II and working on getting it ready and installed for the winter!

I was hoping someone here could help me out. There is a large four-sided bolt/nut on the left side of the stove under the side door (see attached image). It kinda turns back and forth but not all the way around (may just be caught up). The reason I'm posting here is that I can't figure out what it's supposed to do (doesn't seem to do much), and I can't find it on any diagrams or pictures. I've looked through the manual and around online.

The second thing is someone who owned it before me seems to have sealed off the secondary air intake hole (the pipe is completely missing). But it doesn't necessarily look like a DIY job (I'll attach a picture). Should I bore it back open and install the air pipe back into it? I have read about people fashioning their own pipe out of steel. Can anyone give me more info about doing this, specifically the dimensions, spacing of holes and gauge of steel?

Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks
-Mike G

00T0T_48SmN1rstdG_600x450.jpg

Here's the bolt part both outside and inside
2014-11-03 09.25.17.jpg
2014-11-03 09.25.36.jpg

And the Secondary air intake hole
2014-11-10 14.07.41.jpg

Shaker grate from a coal kit? Let me keep looking at it. Yeah between that and the air hole, I think someone retrofitted for coal at some point.

Thanks for the fast reply! That would make sense. I figured it was of no use but it was strange that I couldn't find any mention of it or see it in any pictures of other Hearthstones.

I'm only right about 50% of the time, may want a clearer thinking person to confirm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.