Answer 95 Troubleshooting

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

buffalocold19

New Member
Sep 20, 2026
5
Buffalo NY
Hey all! I've enjoyed the forum for a while now, but I've got a question that I just can't seem to find the answer on.

I recently bought and restored an older Lopi Answer 95 wood stove. From what research I have done, and what was left of the sticker on the back it appears to be from 1990. This include new fire tube, bricks, and door seal.

As I finished up the project (thanks to the help and info on here), I decided to burn it outside first to double check is functionality and cure the high temp paint. That's where I noticed that the stove seems very starved for air and only stays buring with the door cracked.

I've tried trouble shooting, and I've gone through most of the suggestions on here. I've added a short length of pipe to increase the draft, made sure the bottom air supply is fully open, confirmed dry and seasoned fuel, and cleaned every part of the air delivery channels inside that I can see. Still, the stove will snuff itself out after a few minutes of the door being sealed shut. If you crack the door, the stove roars to life.

I've just got no more ideas, so I'm reaching out here hoping one of you seasoned pros can point me in the correct direction. Attached is a picture fit reference. Thank you.

[Hearth.com] Answer 95 Troubleshooting [Hearth.com] Answer 95 Troubleshooting [Hearth.com] Answer 95 Troubleshooting
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
It's likely fine. The draft is weak due to ambient temperature and the stove needing many more feet of stove pipe to draft properly. Once it's in the house with a proper stack on the stove and a notable differential between indoor and outdoor temps, the stove will behave much better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
It's likely fine. The draft is weak due to ambient temperature and the stove needing many more feet of stove pipe to draft properly. Once it's in the house with a proper stack on the stove and a notable differential between indoor and outdoor temps, the stove will behave much better.
Thank you! I'm brand new to wood burning, and I was hesitant to install it into the house without running it by you guys. Do you think adding a damper just above the stove would be wise too?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
That depends on the flue setup in the home. Will this be installed on the first floor? Describe the flue system in the home from stove top to the chimney cap.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
It's getting installed in a one story ranch, with a strait vertical flue through the roof which is approximately 12 feet in length from top of stove to cap.
 
It sounds like the stove will work fine without the damper. The most important thing for good performance will be having dry fuel and learning how to operate the stove under varying temperature conditions and fuel load sizes. Get a flue thermometer for the stove pipe and use that as a guide. Try to operate the flue within about a 200º to 400º temperature range if this is single-wall stove pipe. If double-walled stove pipe, then a probe thermometer will be needed and the temperature range will be more like 300º to 750º.
 
It sounds like the stove will work fine without the damper. The most important thing for good performance will be having dry fuel and learning how to operate the stove under varying temperature conditions and fuel load sizes. Get a flue thermometer for the stove pipe and use that as a guide. Try to operate the flue within about a 200º to 400º temperature range if this is single-wall stove pipe. If double-walled stove pipe, then a probe thermometer will be needed and the temperature range will be more like 300º to 750º.
Much appreciated! I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
 
12 feet from stove top to top of chimney may still be too short. Try it, but you may need to get it up to about 15. I don’t suppose you have a copy of the manual? There’s usually a minimum recommended chimney height in it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
12 feet from stove top to top of chimney may still be too short. Try it, but you may need to get it up to about 15. I don’t suppose you have a copy of the manual? There’s usually a minimum recommended chimney height in it.
I was able to find the manual, and it does recommend a 15' chimney. I'm going to add a bit more pipe and a wind brace. I should be installing it this weekend if everything goes to plan, I'll keep you posted! Thanks!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991