• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChevWood15

Apr 27, 2018
N.Y.
New member here! Been lurking through many threads, now time to ask. My wife and I had an old Fisher stove insert that's on its last legs. We have been looking at new inserts for a while. Its narrowed down to the Hearthstone Clydesdale and the Enviro Boston 1700. Just looking for any advice and reviews for the two. Mainly looking for reliability and realistic burn times. Thanks!

Hi Chev- Both quality stoves. The Clydesdale looks like a very massive, very robust stove. Firebox for both is around 2.5cf. The Boston is a beautiful stove too, very quiet blower, has the venerable burn engine of all 1700 series enviros, a steel box with cast iron cladding. The Clydesdale has a bigger fireview, if that's important. Both are expensive, both are able heaters up to around 2000 sqft here in NE.

Big fan of the Enviro Boston. Just finished the first year with ours. Heats 2500 sqft for most of our winter in CT. On a daily basis, I got 10.5 hr burns (7:00 pm to 5:30 AM), but I was also able to get some 12 hr (and a bit past that) burns the few times I needed to. Very pleased with the stove!

Reactions: ChevWood15
One aspect of the Enviro that I really like is that it is designed to load North/South. I can fit a 20" log in N/S, although it does best with around 18" logs. I am not sure whether the Clydesdale is a N/S or E/W loader.

Congratulations. Looking forward to the pics of the install.

Best of luck with the Enviro. I think you’ll be happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats- the Boston is a beauty. Let us know how she works out for you.

Never heard a discouraging word from an Enviro stove owner. And the Boston is a beauty..

Decided to do the install myself, will be saving over $800. I took out our old insert. Is it pretty straight forward? Just hooking up the liner to the stove? Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Reactions: illini81
Decided to do the install myself, will be saving over $800. I took out our old insert. Is it pretty straight forward? Just hooking up the liner to the stove? Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Take a look at how your blower is installed so you know what you need to do when it is time to remove it and clean it. After cleaning mine after 4-5 years of burning, I would recommend cleaning it out every 1-2 years.

Also, check out the thread illini81 started for Enviro stoves.

Take a look at how your blower is installed so you know what you need to do when it is time to remove it and clean it. After cleaning mine after 4-5 years of burning, I would recommend cleaning it out every 1-2 years.

Yes, a blower should be cleaned every year. If possible, lubricate it then too.

Reactions: saewoody
The Boston is a vertical, quiet unit mounted on the left side as you face the stove. To get to it, take the top plate off (3/8 inch bolts, only tighten the front two, you'll see what I mean.) Take off the door, and that will give you access to the side panel and the blower. And yes, clean every year if you want maximum lifetime of it.

Reactions: saewoody
The Boston is a vertical, quiet unit mounted on the left side as you face the stove. To get to it, take the top plate off (3/8 inch bolts, only tighten the front two, you'll see what I mean.) Take off the door, and that will give you access to the side panel and the blower. And yes, clean every year if you want maximum lifetime of it.
I was cleaning our old stove fan every year. Will definitely continue to.

Stove finally came in! Just waiting for a flex liner adapter to finish the install.

Attachments

• 20180513_125446.jpg
    20180513_125446.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 549
Beautiful.

When I do the break in fire, what would be a good target temp? Should I measure temp on the flu collar or stove top?

It's a steel stove at heart. There's no real break-in required though you may want to do a small kindling fire at first just to dry out the bricks. After that, fire it up to 500F and open all windows, maybe with a fan exhausting fumes from the paint baking in.

We did have a quick fire a couple weeks ago. Forgot to take some pictures. It didnt seem to get much flame action, not sure why. It was about 60 degrees outside.
If the fire was weak, there are a few possible reasons assuming the install is proper. Weak draft, insufficient air or fuel or poorly seasoned wood.
You new stove will require stronger draft than the old Fisher. Draft will be weaker when the indoor temp is close to the outside temp. If the flue is on the short side or has some 90º turns then that will also slow down draft.

If the fire was weak, there are a few possible reasons assuming the install is proper. Weak draft, insufficient air or fuel or poorly seasoned wood.
You new stove will require stronger draft than the old Fisher. Draft will be weaker when the indoor temp is close to the outside temp. If the flue is on the short side or has some 90º turns then that will also slow down draft.
Inside temp and outside temp was within a couple degrees. No 90 degree turns, flue is probably 25-30 feet.

Inside temp and outside temp was within a couple degrees. No 90 degree turns, flue is probably 25-30 feet.
With that setup and dry wood you should see a marked improvement when the temps drop 10 degrees.

Reactions: Blazingembers7749