Hearthstone Tribute door catch & latch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chickendude

Dec 26, 2022
chickenman1
Good morning everyone.
New to the site and forums.
I have a 2011 Tribute (model 8040). About a month or two ago, just into the heating season, I noticed the door wasn't staying closed properly. My first thought, and easiest solution, was to replace the gasket. It was about 5-6 (or more) years old. No problem with that. But the door still wasn't latching very well. I determined with a flashlight and magnifying glass that the "catch" on the cast iron door frame had partially broken off. I contacted my dealer and they offered to order a new frame but it runs $250-300. Way too much for me living on social security. My online searches were fruitless except that I found out that Hearthstone has updated the new frame. It is still cast iron but the catch is now steel since the old catches were prone to break. I took my frame to a local custom welding shop (they can weld ANYTHING) and they fixed it while I waited for $100. But the welder said the cast iron design was poor. He could see why it would easily break.
I contacted Hearthstone tech and asked them about this. It seems to me that this is a design and safety issue. If a log rolled against the door and knocked it open while I was away or asleep there could have been a fire. Personally, I think there should be a recall and replacement. But Hearthstone says no. The new frame "....is an improvement..." and "...any modification I did voided any warranty...." Again, personally, I think my "modification" was actually a repair. Hearthstone more or less quit communicating after that.
As it is now, the repair is working. I also adjusted the latch/handle assembly. The door is sealing and working very well.
Has anyone in this forum experienced this? If so, what did you do?
Thanks!

Is having them send you the new steel latch an option, or did they redesign the whole system?

Good morning everyone.
New to the site and forums.
I have a 2011 Tribute (model 8040). About a month or two ago, just into the heating season, I noticed the door wasn't staying closed properly. My first thought, and easiest solution, was to replace the gasket. It was about 5-6 (or more) years old. No problem with that. But the door still wasn't latching very well. I determined with a flashlight and magnifying glass that the "catch" on the cast iron door frame had partially broken off. I contacted my dealer and they offered to order a new frame but it runs $250-300. Way too much for me living on social security. My online searches were fruitless except that I found out that Hearthstone has updated the new frame. It is still cast iron but the catch is now steel since the old catches were prone to break. I took my frame to a local custom welding shop (they can weld ANYTHING) and they fixed it while I waited for $100. But the welder said the cast iron design was poor. He could see why it would easily break.
I contacted Hearthstone tech and asked them about this. It seems to me that this is a design and safety issue. If a log rolled against the door and knocked it open while I was away or asleep there could have been a fire. Personally, I think there should be a recall and replacement. But Hearthstone says no. The new frame "....is an improvement..." and "...any modification I did voided any warranty...." Again, personally, I think my "modification" was actually a repair. Hearthstone more or less quit communicating after that.
As it is now, the repair is working. I also adjusted the latch/handle assembly. The door is sealing and working very well.
Has anyone in this forum experienced this? If so, what did you do?
Thanks!
I have the same problem.. Company does not want to fix it...