Hearthstone vs Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Disco_Kai

Oct 7, 2020
NJ
Moved into a new house and looking to get a wood stove. Had a coal/wood combo Russo in the old house that worked alright but looking for something a little better.

House is about 2200 SF and plan to run the stove as much as possible to offset the oil costs. Not expecting to heat the whole house since it's not very open but hope to try!

I am between two stoves right now, a Hearthstone Phoenix 8612 or Jotul F500.
The hearthstone is cheaper but looks excellent! I know it takes longer to heat up but I plan to keep it going constantly especially since I'm working from home now.
1602095916215.png

The Jotul appears to be the go-to stove around here but is about twice the price and looks to be used a lot more than the Hearthstone.
1602095970522.png

These are the two brands I am considering while looking around. Talk me into or out of the other!

Both very good stoves, I have the Jotul f400 which is a bit smaller then the 500 and I was able to cut oil consumption by 70% and my bi-lever house is a bout 2500sq.ft. Central NJ. I would get which ever has bigger firebox.

Happy ower of a jotul Oslo f500 here. Does a great job of heating my 3000 sqft home. The hearthstone is not a bad looking stove either. If price is a big issue that would not be q bad choice.

Reactions: Sailrmike
I have a Hearthstone Mansfield, a stove 2x larger than the Phoenix, but soapstone in general is a phenomenal heat holding and heat transfer surface . It may take longer to heat up to optimum temperature but it will also take much longer to cool off , providing a longer more even heat output. Secondly, soapstone gives off a softer , more controlled heat, you don’t get that scorching overheated heat , not the huge swing in temperature that a steel or cast stove creates. On the other hand, soapstone is somewhat fragile. If you throw wood into the stove and hit the side or back wall, you could crack the stone. Yearly startup has a specific procedure to drive moisture out of the soapstone to prevent cracking. Also soapstone will naturally crack , its stone with flaws and inclusions that are weak but the majority of cracks will not affect the performance of the stove. In my opinion, you will thoroughly enjoy the Hearthstone, but be mindful of overheating by leaving a door open or the draft open that will create a potential destructive situation . I’m sure the Jotul is an excellent stove, but in my opinion, the Hearthstone is a step up.

I suspect either would be OK for your use, but I will readily admit I am biased towards Jotul as the F500 has proven to be a very reliable workhorse of a woodstove. In my own case the F500 is responsible for maybe 90-95% of my heating needs in the winter with the only items replaced being two gaskets and a baffle blanket since being put into use in 2008.

Reactions: Sailrmike
I have a Hearthstone Mansfield, a stove 2x larger than the Phoenix, but soapstone in general is a phenomenal heat holding and heat transfer surface . It may take longer to heat up to optimum temperature but it will also take much longer to cool off , providing a longer more even heat output. Secondly, soapstone gives off a softer , more controlled heat, you don’t get that scorching overheated heat , not the huge swing in temperature that a steel or cast stove creates. On the other hand, soapstone is somewhat fragile. If you throw wood into the stove and hit the side or back wall, you could crack the stone. Yearly startup has a specific procedure to drive moisture out of the soapstone to prevent cracking. Also soapstone will naturally crack , its stone with flaws and inclusions that are weak but the majority of cracks will not affect the performance of the stove. In my opinion, you will thoroughly enjoy the Hearthstone, but be mindful of overheating by leaving a door open or the draft open that will create a potential destructive situation . I’m sure the Jotul is an excellent stove, but in my opinion, the Hearthstone is a step up.
This is great info. Didn't realize their would be a certain startup procedure to drive moisture out, will have to check that out in the manual.

I plan on getting the Hearthstone as long as it isn't cracked. Seller claims it was never used either. Seems to be comparable and with the cost savings I can buy a few cords of wood.

The mansfield is only 3 cubic feet and that phoenix is no slouch at 2.2 cubes. So the manny is just 36% bigger not 200% bigger!

I had a 2.3 CF heritage for many years and chose it over the phoenix because of more stone, the side door, and the phoenix had a blanket above the baffle. The phoenix is a good looking stove but hearthstones are not built to last if you use them. Hinges get sloppy, door latches wear out, and stones crack. These things are only replaceable with a complete stove rebuild down to a pile of rocks. After 30 cords went through my hearthstone I sold it away because this wear was becoming a problem and the solution not feasible. So no, I wouldn't recommend the hearthsone unless you just want to look at it. It's a great looking stove. They are also horribly slow to heat up. That's not made up for by slowly cooling down because you're not freezing when you let the stove get cold. Stone stoves are fine if you keep them hot.

I've never owned a Jotul but they are also very attractive. Is this Jotul one of the kind that is just bolted together chunks of iron? With some pooky between the chunks to seal the edges? That you need to "occasionally" rebuild? If so, consider how far away you are from that maintenance. I would prefer something steel and welded together.

Reactions: Mech e and bcrtops
The mansfield is only 3 cubic feet and that phoenix is no slouch at 2.2 cubes. So the manny is just 36% bigger not 200% bigger!

I had a 2.3 CF heritage for many years and chose it over the phoenix because of more stone, the side door, and the phoenix had a blanket above the baffle. The phoenix is a good looking stove but hearthstones are not built to last if you use them. Hinges get sloppy, door latches wear out, and stones crack. These things are only replaceable with a complete stove rebuild down to a pile of rocks. After 30 cords went through my hearthstone I sold it away because this wear was becoming a problem and the solution not feasible. So no, I wouldn't recommend the hearthsone unless you just want to look at it. It's a great looking stove. They are also horribly slow to heat up. That's not made up for by slowly cooling down because you're not freezing when you let the stove get cold. Stone stoves are fine if you keep them hot.

I've never owned a Jotul but they are also very attractive. Is this Jotul one of the kind that is just bolted together chunks of iron? With some pooky between the chunks to seal the edges? That you need to "occasionally" rebuild? If so, consider how far away you are from that maintenance. I would prefer something steel and welded together.

Yes the traditional Jotul cast iron stoves need rebuilding, but only after 20-25 yrs of heavy burning. At that point, I'd be happy to recycle the iron and purchase new tech. These things arent built like a CDW 5 cord stoves, believe me.

So I am curious as I just ordered a Mansfield, is the 30 cords face cords or actual bush cords ?
I currently and have for 20 years heated with a PE Summit but just wanted a change but after join this forum yesterday I’m second guessing my decision ?
Any and all advice appreciated !

So I am curious as I just ordered a Mansfield, is the 30 cords face cords or actual bush cords ?
I currently and have for 20 years heated with a PE Summit but just wanted a change but after join this forum yesterday I’m second guessing my decision ?
I don't know about Canada but a cord is a defined unit of measurement in the US. It is 128 cubic feet. I put 30 real cords through that heritage and it performed as advertised. Clean chimney too! We don't work with face cords, bush cords, banana cords, or unicorn cords. I don't even know what those are.

Your summit was a great stove. The recent EPA regulations made changes to the PE line as well as the hearthstone line that you might not like. The hardware on the current heritage is still very delicate, they haven't learned. The hearthstone line is very nice looking though. I really like the looks of the new cast stoves from them.

And welcome to the forum.

There are a few versions of the PE summit now that are pretty dang good. The Alderlea T6 is a summit firebox clad with cast iron panels.

Yes looked at the T6 but for some reason wanted to try a cat stove and the Mansfield really caught my eye as being attractive and efficient and have already put a down stoke on it so unless i purchased one of the other brands the dealer carries I’m out a few bucks … I had read lots of good reviews on the Mansfield until I joined this forum and then started scratching my head a bit …
So as they say hindsight is 20-20

I’ve had my Mansfield for 8 yrs now and love it . Yes it is a fragile stove if you don’t take care of it. I have 2 cracked stones but they are not bothering me a bit . It’s stone , they crack if there is an occlusion in the stone . Just be careful when putting wood in and position the wood so it doesn’t fall against the glass. Over firing it will do more harm than anything. Every season, do your 3 successive hotter burns to drive out any moisture and you can enjoy it after that.

I’ve had my Mansfield for 8 yrs now and love it . Yes it is a fragile stove if you don’t take care of it. I have 2 cracked stones but they are not bothering me a bit . It’s stone , they crack if there is an occlusion in the stone . Just be careful when putting wood in and position the wood so it doesn’t fall against the glass. Over firing it will do more harm than anything. Every season, do your 3 successive hotter burns to drive out any moisture and you can enjoy it after that.
Thanks Mark , I just started second guessing myself after reading negative comments mainly on hinge and door handle issues. I chatted with my dealer yesterday, who is a small family operated dealership and he assured me that he has many of them out there and everyone is very pleased with the stoves without any issues

Thanks Mark , I just started second guessing myself after reading negative comments mainly on hinge and door handle issues. I chatted with my dealer yesterday, who is a small family operated dealership and he assured me that he has many of them out there and everyone is very pleased with the stoves without any issues
I would not worry about your choice at all. There are many happy Hearthstone customers. Every stove brand has negative comments if you look, there is no such infallible stove manufacturer in existence.

As for cord definition, being a Canuck as well, a cord is a “full cord”, not a “face cord” which is what is used typically down where I live now. When I used to read guys burning “4-5 cords a winter” I was always like WTH. Now Iknow better…