Hearthstone ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug60

Apr 30, 2008
north jersey
Before I bought the Eqinox,
I found out here ,some of the early builds had a problem with the primary air control not working properly.
So when I purchased the stove I brought that to there attention.

There response was , If there is a problem, of coarse it will be taken care of before you pick up the stove.

Well I was not. After about 6 weeks of burning. the primary air control started to get a little rough Then it would get stuck in the fully open & fully closed positions.

I called the dealer & he was not aware of any problems with the air control.
( Christmas Eve ).

Shortly after that, I got a message on my cell from him. " Apparently there is an issue with the first 100 stoves made.
He or I would have to drop the ash draw ( cast iron lower portion of the stove ) to see what the problem is.

So I did, after 3 hours labor I found some stove cement , that I thought could have been causing the problem. reassembled the stove & called the dealer back.

Shared my findings with him & all was good. air control seemed to be work smoothly.

Four days later same problem. Air control getting stuck in both fully open & fully closed.

I figure lets go to the source. I tried calling Hearthstone direct .

After a hour of phone play . Press 1 if press 2 if press if press 4 if your a dealer & on & on & on. to no avail.

So I called the dealer back, He said he would call them immediately & get back to me.
He did call me back within 5 minutes & said " I need your address so Hearthstone can send you the replacement parts necessary to fix the problem.

Why did I have to waist 3 hours of my time trying to fix defect that I read about 6 months earlier?
Why wasn't my dealer aware of this potential problem?

Why Cant I call Hearthstone directly & talk to there Engineering department.
Hell I should be able to talk every man involved inn the design of there new stove.

It's my money spent, I deserve more than that!

And In my opinion, that's one of the things wrong with the corporate world.

It two days later now, No next day delivery on the parts.
There dropping the ball again.
When will they wake up?

Another reason we are happy we got the Woodstock stove instead of Hearthstone. We can call the 800 number any time and get a quick response instead of the push this number nonsense. We started hearing things about Hearthstone; some good and most not-so-good before we bought our stove but since buying we've heard about 65% bad vs. 35% good. On Woodstock it is more like 1% bad (or just not the right sized stove) vs. 99% good. And Woodstock has the best warranty in the business.

That being said, we do hope you get the stove working right. Good luck to you.

Hearthstone poc for woodstoves is Jim Casavant at 1-800-827-8603 x225
He knows the product better than most people on the planet
Doubt if he's available on weekends, tho...
Leave a message & he'll get back to you...
HTH

Parts arrived today.
A step up in design , looks like a permanent fix.
I wish the lines of communication were better .
Thanks for your support, RANT OFF
doug
PS
I will call Jim & air my grievance .

Hi Doug, I was not aware there was a problem with the primary air intake on the Equinox. I have been having a problem with mine for about a month,I finaly got around to calling the dealer and the tech is coming over to take a look on tuesday.When I called he didn't say anything about a defect. I think I will make sure he reads this post!. There is no way I am going to drop the whole bottom of this stove myself if it is still under warenty. I will let you know what comes of this.

Whats the serial number of your stove ?

If it has a 1/2 nut holding the assembly up against the cast iron belly pan.
It needs to be updated.

I installed the parts this morning , the updated part uses a roll pin to secure handle bracket to rotating shaft.
Its much stronger.

The shaft is held up by spring pressure , In my opinion the spring is a little to strong.
If you have any questions I can PM you my cell number.
doug

Doug my serial # is 1248 . Why didn't the dealer take care of the problem for you if the stove was still under warenty ? shoot me a pm. if you want, Darren

1248 is the 248 th stove built, Is was told the first 100 were the only ones affected.
You might be have a different issue if you stove already has the updated parts.

I chose to try to fix it myself. I don't mind the tinkering.
What aggravated me was the misinformation & not being able to speak to a tech.

Its still not right, I did contact Jim (thanks for the info).
They are aware of the issue, I asked him to get back to me when they find a solution.
Its still getting stuck in the closed position.

I will keep you posted.

the tech came over and we dropped the ash pan lubricated the slide and the handle, so far so good I will let you know if it lasts.

I did the same .
greased up the sliding plate contacts points.
Also greased all pivot contact & pivot points.

After talking to Darren , I went back in to get a better look.
The sliding plate can get wedged between its upward thrust retaining bar & its horizontal guiding surfaces.
Buy greasing all contact points it allows the sliding plate to stay flat & move horizontal with out any upward thrust .
The upward thrust is what causes the plate to get out of alignment (binding & not closing off the primary air) as it was designed to do.

I doubt the grease will last as a permanent fix. Between the heat & the dust the grease will attract .
I can see this being an on going issue . I can see it lasting till the warranty is over.

Maybe 2 retaining bars would keep it from getting wedged in its guide area.
Hopefully hearthstone will come through with a better idea.

Thanks again Darren (two heads are better than one).
doug

doug60 said:
........I figure lets go to the source. I tried calling Hearthstone direct .......

........After a hour of phone play . Press 1 if press 2 if press if press 4 if your a dealer & on & on & on. to no avail.........

........Why Cant I call Hearthstone directly & talk to there Engineering department.
Hell I should be able to talk every man involved inn the design of there new stove.

It's my money spend I deserve more than that!

And In my opinion, that's one of the things wrong with the corporate world.

It two days later now, No next day delivery on the parts.
There dropping the ball again.
When will they wake up?

I had a similar experience with Hearthstone about my Tribute. Different problem, similar results, but I didn't have a dealer to step in and help. (see: Cracked stone on Tribute)

Hearthstone had better get their act together, or they are going to be in big trouble as a viable stove manufacturer.

graphite, like pencil lead, etc: won't dry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.