Heat Distribution From Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prominion

Sep 25, 2020
Boswell, BC
Hi Team Wood Stove.
I purchased a rural property on Kootenay Lake, BC that is heated by electric forced air. The home is a 27'x48' manufactured sitting on a full 9' ICF basement. There is currently NO stairwell access, that will be a Spring 2021 project (yes, I'm an optimist). After mucho research (and a timely $760 accessories promotion), I will be installing a supplementary heat Regency Cascades F2500 in the basement adjacent a 7x9 insulated garage door, which will eventually be replaced with a man door if we make it to Spring 2021. I have no concerns with combustion air, there should be plenty of infiltration from the 2 garage doors. I am looking for advice on the best means of distributing heat to the main floor through dampered convection registers (or other ideas?) I will install through floor. Recommendations for register supplier would be greatly appreciated. Sketchy sketches attached for info.

Thanks,
John
Beautiful Downtown Boswell, BC

Attachments

• Woodstove Plan.pdf
    263.9 KB · Views: 93
Atlanta Supply is a US supplier that sells fusible-link dampers and registers. I'm don't know of an equivalent in Canada. The most successful delivery of heat will be by enabling a convection loop with registers for supply and for return. If you can post a floor plan sketch along with the stove location below I can make a suggestion as to where to put them. Include the proposed stairwell location too.

Kootney lake.one of my favorite places to visit.love taking 3a then the ferry over to balfour

Kootney lake.one of my favorite places to visit.love taking 3a then the ferry over to balfour
It's pretty sweet, but not a great place to rely on electric forced air over the winter...we were without power for five days 3 weeks ago so I'm pretty motivated to get this installed!

Atlanta Supply is a US supplier that sells fusible-link dampers and registers. I'm don't know of an equivalent in Canada. The most successful delivery of heat will be by enabling a convection loop with registers for supply and for return. If you can post a floor plan sketch along with the stove location below I can make a suggestion as to where to put them. Include the proposed stairwell location too.

Thanks begreen. Here is a sketch of what I think would be the most efficient distribution plan...Red is existing basement, blue is proposed. Can I run a fan intake close to the woodstove with smoke/fire damper and intercept the existing 8" duct crossover so I can use existing registers? Straight run for ducting, all flush with ceiling. 2 Cold air returns in floor...future staircase location is a challenge given joist direction and room layouts...

Attachments

• Duct Intercept.pdf
    291.2 KB · Views: 112
With the stove located under the bedroom and no stairwell, this will be a challenge. It would be better to locate it under the living room or at least the hallway. In the US, mechanical code requires a return (intake) duct to be at least 10 ft away from the stove. I don't know what Canadian code is.