Q&A Heat my vittles on Hearthstone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Is my Hearthstone Heritage wood stove going to get hot enough on top to boil water in a cast iron tea kettle or to cook soup? The stove is not promoted as having a cook top they way some stoves are.

Answer:

I have found an answer regarding my question on cooking atop a Hearthstone Heritage. I thought I would reply to my own query so that an answer was available for hearth.com's very nice Q&A archive. A Hearthstone Heritage dealer responded to my question by e-mail with this information:

Many HearthStone owners do use their stove tops for heating water / soups and the surface temperatures on the top can reach 600+ degrees F. fired 'hot'. More typically, though, temperatures would vary around 250 - 400 or so. Temperature will have much to do with fuel quality, air settings, and draft.

On the down side, the surface of a soapstone stove is 'soft', and the use of cooking pots, etc., will easily mar the polished surface. If you view these scratches as 'character lines' like carvings on a wooden table or desk,you won't be too upset. If you want to preserve the original polished look,we would suggest you avoid placing any cooking pots on the stove.

Preston Trading Post

Status
Not open for further replies.