Help with Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Miky2884

Oct 26, 2022
CT
Hi all new to the forum. Question for Hearthstone heritage owners. I just purchased this stove coming from a Vermont Castings Encore and this is my first soap stone stove. I have completed the first three break in fires. So far I love the stove but have one question is I have a soapstone thermometer on the top of the stove. From what I’ve noticed so far once the thermometer reads 300 degrees the thermometer on the damper handle starts to read in the “ too hot” section of the dial. Obviously I know this stove can be run at over 300 degrees. My question is does anyone pay attention to the thermostat on the damper or just go by the thermostat on the top of the stove? Your help and insight is greatly appreciated.

8C88F519-7AC1-4AD5-9E25-BD5E1B4AE619.jpeg

Reactions: Hearthstone 99
The thermometer by the damper handle should be your cat thermometer? I believe the general consensus is that brand new cats tend to be a little hyper and jumping into the too hot range on the first couple weeks of burning is a thing that happens. Long term you should see it settle down.

The thermometer by the damper handle should be your cat thermometer? I believe the general consensus is that brand new cats tend to be a little hyper and jumping into the too hot range on the first couple weeks of burning is a thing that happens. Long term you should see it settle down.
Great info I appreciate that

The thermometer by the damper handle lets you know when the cat is active and the bypass can be closed. In the manual it is referred to as the catalyst probe. Definitely pay attention to it. There is detailed operation information is on page 20 of the manual.

CATALYST PROBE: The catalyst probe monitors the downstream temperature of the catalyst, and indicates when the stove is in the active range for the catalyst. When the stove is in the “active” range, the bypass handle should be closed. When the stove is in the “Inactive” range, the bypass handle should be opened until the stove heats up. If the probe is in the “Too Hot” range, keep the door closed, fully close the air control, and allow the stove to cool down until the probe falls into the “Active” Range. Once the catalyst probe has reached the active range, heat generated from burning smoke keeps the catalyst warm and active as long as fuel remains in the stove. The Heritage 8024 typically operates in the 800 ⁰F to 1300 ⁰F range.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
The thermometer by the damper handle lets you know when the cat is active and the bypass can be closed. In the manual it is referred to as the catalyst probe. Definitely pay attention to it. There is detailed operation information is on page 20 of the manual.

CATALYST PROBE: The catalyst probe monitors the downstream temperature of the catalyst, and indicates when the stove is in the active range for the catalyst. When the stove is in the “active” range, the bypass handle should be closed. When the stove is in the “Inactive” range, the bypass handle should be opened until the stove heats up. If the probe is in the “Too Hot” range, keep the door closed, fully close the air control, and allow the stove to cool down until the probe falls into the “Active” Range. Once the catalyst probe has reached the active range, heat generated from burning smoke keeps the catalyst warm and active as long as fuel remains in the stove. The Heritage 8024 typically operates in the 800 ⁰F to 1300 ⁰F range.
Thank you but I did read that and I understand it. However the problem I’m having is the stove is only getting to 300 degrees when the probe gets to the “too hot” range.

That’s because the stone takes forever to heat up. Major lag compared to the cat meter. Be sure not to overtemp the stove but at 300 you’re far from that.

New here as well and I have the same stove...the first two or three fires after the break ins I had the same experience, but on the sequential fires its beginning to settle down, its hitting to around 1/2 and the 3/4 mark in the active range with a pretty hot fire.

on a side note, I have a stoneguard thermometer for the top of the stove, and like your it hits around 300-400 degree's...

That’s because the stone takes forever to heat up. Major lag compared to the cat meter. Be sure not to overtemp the stove but at 300 you’re far from that.
So basically as long as the actual stove temp is what it’s suppose to be I shouldn’t worry about the catalyst temp??…..

So basically as long as the actual stove temp is what it’s suppose to be I shouldn’t worry about the catalyst temp??…..
I would actually also have a probe meter in the flue and worry about all three. Operate the stove using all three and keeping them all in acceptable ranges. You will probably find that the stove top meter is hardest to overfire.

Like in a car you have several gauges to watch. With time you will easily operate the stove but a cat stove is a little more complicated than old school stoves.

I would actually also have a probe meter in the flue and worry about all three. Operate the stove using all three and keeping them all in acceptable ranges. You will probably find that the stove top meter is hardest to overfire.

Like in a car you have several gauges to watch. With time you will easily operate the stove but a cat stove is a little more complicated than old school stoves.
I have the same issue with my Hearthstone Heritage, installed 10 days ago. I am told I can run it up to 500 F, but if I do the gauge for the cat is way over into the too hot zone.

Give the cat a couple of weeks to settle down. They can be hyperactive at first.

Give the cat a couple of weeks to settle down. They can be hyperactive at first.
In the meantime should I be concerned if the gauge is in the too hot zone, even if the top middle soapstone is just over 300 F? The side soapstones on the side with the gauge get close to 500 F. My exhaust is out of the rear and the metal cap on the top reaches just over 500 F.

I wouldn't push it too much past that. If the cat gets too hot the coating will be lost.

I wouldn't push it too much past that. If the cat gets too hot the coating will be lost.
Thank you for the response. I will be careful and see if the gauge stabilizes more in a week or so. For now, I do not see how this stove can burn for up to 20 hours as advertised.

Thank you for the response. I will be careful and see if the gauge stabilizes more in a week or so. For now, I do not see how this stove can burn for up to 20 hours as advertised.
The long burn would require running the stove at a lower temperature and heat output. The low end is about 12,300 BTUs/hr.

Thank you but I did read that and I understand it. However the problem I’m having is the stove is only getting to 300 degrees when the probe gets to the “too hot” range.
I let the soapstone sides of my Heartstone Clydesdale get to 600 deg F before I start to close the main damper (measured with a laser IR thermometer of course). After which it can take another 30 minutes or more before the cat temp is “in the zone”. Once it’s in the zone I engage the cat. Typically about an hour after I start the fire.

I let the soapstone sides of my Heartstone Clydesdale get to 600 deg F before I start to close the main damper (measured with a laser IR thermometer of course). After which it can take another 30 minutes or more before the cat temp is “in the zone”. Once it’s in the zone I engage the cat. Typically about an hour after I start the fire.
Isn't the cat gauge in the too hot zone when the soapstone sides are 600 F?